Hot Weather and Baby Chicks.

LolaBlue

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 10, 2010
We have 8 x 2 week old baby chicks that our broody SLW is raising.
So far they've all been doing well.
Today is quite warm (33C/ 91F) so I just went to check their water levels.
I noticed 7 of the chicks running around, following mum underneath the trees, but 1 little chick was just walking along very slowly and walked right up to me (they're not tame and every night is a struggle to get them back in the coop).
I put the chick over near the waterer where it had a drink and just stood there afterwards.
There is plenty of shade for them, I've turned a water mister on for them, and they've got lots of water.
I've brought the chick inside and have put it in a box in the cool/ dark bathroom with water.
It's having a bit of a cheep in the box, but doesn't seem too distressed.
Should/ can I do anything else for it?

Wow! I'm not a chicken dr. but chicks that young need don't have enough fat or body weight to keep themselves warm. It might be cold. I keep the chicks warm at 90-95 degrees the first week, then 85-90 degrees the second week. 80-85 degrees the third week. reducing 5 degrees edach week. Also make sure they are eating and drinking. If you have any Grogel plus, I hear that is really great stuff. You mix it with water and it turns bright green, the chicks really go for it and it supplies them with lots of votamins and nutrients.

Wow! I'm not a chicken dr. but chicks that young need don't have enough fat or body weight to keep themselves warm. It might be cold. I keep the chicks warm at 90-95 degrees the first week, then 85-90 degrees the second week. 80-85 degrees the third week. reducing 5 degrees edach week. Also make sure they are eating and drinking. If you have any Grogel plus, I hear that is really great stuff. You mix it with water and it turns bright green, the chicks really go for it and it supplies them with lots of votamins and nutrients.
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand.
Broody hen is raising the chicks, so there is no heat lamp etc on them.
And as I said it's 33C/ 91F here today, so I'm quite sure it's not too cold, I'm worried it's heat stroke/ heat stress.

Last edited:
I just came home from picking my son up from school and it was dead in the box :(

Back
Top Bottom