Aug 26, 2020
Hi! I have a broody hen sitting on some hatching eggs out in my barn right now and we have some warm weather coming up, in the upper 80’s, and I’m worried about her getting too hot. Will she? Is there anything I could do to keep her cool like putting a fan on her, or would that stress her out too much? I’m also concerned about her getting dehydrated. We do have chick electrolyte powder that I can put in her water, will that keep her hydrated? Should I take her out to eat and drink more often than usual? All help is appreciated!!

At that temp, I would just be concerned about ventilation... making sure her area in the barn doesn’t get really high.
I’m a fresh water advocate, so I rarely add anything, but I suppose some electrolytes might help her.
In theory, she should still get off the nest for her breaks regardless of temp.
If you need to do a fan, I wouldn’t aim it right at her, maybe above or near her.

How hot is it in the barn where she is sitting?
I'm thinking big barn that won't heat up too fast, but not sure that's what you have.

Dose of EL wouldn't hurt, don't over do that tho.
Small batch recipe here.

Has she been getting up to eat and drink?
How long has she been sitting?

How hot is it in the barn where she is sitting?
I'm thinking big barn that won't heat up too fast, but not sure that's what you have.

Dose of EL wouldn't hurt, don't over do that tho.
Small batch recipe here.

Has she been getting up to eat and drink?
How long has she been sitting?
She has been sitting for three weeks now and has just under two weeks to go. This is due to how long it took to get the hatching eggs in since we don’t have a rooster. I haven’t noticed her getting up by herself to eat and drink so I take her out myself twice a day and she eats and drinks then, but always has food and water available to her. She is in a large barn that usually stays a little cooler than what is is outside. It’s not hot right now as it’s only been in the 60’s lately

I would put a thermometer near where she is setting, then you'll know if it get hot there.
Do your other chickens have access to her feed and water?

Back
Top Bottom