1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hot weather and egglaying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LazyGirl, Jul 1, 2008.

1. LazyGirl

LazyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    How hot does it need to get for them to stop laying? We are in MI, and the temps are fluctuating every couple days between 70-80. I have 24 layers, and am only getting 12-15 eggs. They are all pullets and were laying almost 2x that a few weeks ago. I can't figure it out! Yes, they do lay eggs elswhere, but I know of 3 nests, and search daily for others.
    Also, is there any way to encourage them further to lay in the coop? At this point, I would assume locking them in for a week would be detrimental to laying???[​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Lock them in until they find 'new' (read: human provided & approved) place to lay their eggs.

I have a pen for my girls but let them roam aound the larger fenced in area also (about an acre) in the evenings. I wait to let them out of the pen until around 5pm since most of them have laid by then.

I also have seen a drop in egg productcion since it got hot here. It's been above 85 degrees for the past 6-8 weeks and I have 20 hens and am only getting about 10 eggs per day. Of course, 4 of them are silkies, so they probably shouldn't count. I only get about 4 silkie eggs a WEEK.

3. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    I only have 2 laying hens but we have has temps from 85 to 100 for the last 2 weeks or so. I still get 2 eggs a day. So I can't help you.

I know pullets can lay and then quit for a while though.

4. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I had 6 hens last year that I had no problems with laying throughout the summer. I am in hot south Mississippi. Out temps in the summer are anywhere from 90-105 and 80-100% humity. All of those hens were killed by a neighbors dog. Now I have 11 hens and one roo. The hens have just began to lay and I am getting about 2 eggs a day now, but they have just started. Maybe they are affected when the weather changes rapidly? Our heat is a gradual thing starting in March and lasting until October. We have very long and hot summers. Dog days my grandma calls them![​IMG]

5. LazyGirl

LazyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    That may be. It's not super hot here, but the temps fluctuate like crazy. It can be 50 one day and 90 the next. And that's what's been happening for a few weeks. Because today was a lot hotter than yesterday, and they layed more today. Strange.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by