1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hot weather and fans for chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kiaya611, Jul 6, 2007.

1. kiaya611

kiaya611 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Lebanon, OR
    Do any of you put fans in your chicken coops when the weather gets hot. We have been having a heat wave and my chickens are panting all of the time. I was thinking of putting a fan or two in the coop for them. Is this a common practice or does it create a problem (drafts, etc.)?

The ironic thing is that the whole front of my coop is screened, but it also faces west (the basic structure was already there (a wood shed)) where all of the rain comes from and I don't want the water blown in and mold the straw that is on the floor so I have put up plastic to blocked the screening except the top 10 inches or so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I hung a large 20" fan & installed a screen door on my coop about a month ago. Boy does it make a difference in there. I also had hubby install two roof ventilation cut outs. He said when he knocked out the wood cutout he could feel the heat coming out of the coop.

3. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Funny thing, all the talk about dangerous drafts and my chickens LOVE to sit in front of the fan! It is too cute to see the silkies with their hair like feathers blowin' in the breeze [​IMG]

My coop has ventilation at the top too, and I just leave the doors open when it rains. The birds will move back further if the rain blows in a bit.

4. kiaya611

Mar 5, 2007
    Lebanon, OR
    That's good to know. I will get some fans for the chickens.

Here is a pic of my coop and you will see how the screens are all across the front (FACING WEST where the rain comes in) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,

5. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    I use frozen 2 liter bottles to cool my babes off. They all gather around them and rest against the bottles. Milk jugs work good, too. I also freeze 1/2-3/4 of their water then fill up with tap water and it gives them cold water for about half the day. Now when you say heat wave, how hot are you talking? We hit 119 yesterday! Ouch!!!!

6. kiaya611

Mar 5, 2007
    Lebanon, OR
    Well...in Oregon we don't have heat like that (at least not in the valley)....but we have had temps in the 90s and that is hot for here. [​IMG]

7. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I have an exhaust type fan with a thermostat and an oscillating tower fan. Mine are the same about drafty air - they love it. They all close their eyes in front of the fan and get comfy. It's too cute!

8. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Looking at your picture of the coop, you could paint all that wood white, it looks like it'd make quite a difference.

9. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    I'm pretty sure it's just cold drafts that cause a problem. A bit of air circulation caused by the fan shouldn't do anything. I haven't done it yet, but am looking into those fan-vent thingymabobs. Sorry, I have no idea what the technical name is! What it is is a little vent that you install like any other, except it's wired in. When you turn it on, the vent opens and the internal fan turns on, pulling hot air out.

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Ah... sort of like an attic vent? You know those round things on the roofs of houses that spin?

Chrystal- That is a good idea with the milk jugs and liter bottles. I'll have to try that with them. I've tried wetting down a part of their run to see if they would lay in it, but they don't.
    Maybe an industrial fan wouldn't be such a bad idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by