hot weather and lamps

Mrs. Feathers

Songster
13 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Hi
Like many others we are having some pretty hot weather. We have nine 2 week old chicks still in the baby brooder (aka spare bedroom). We have turned their lamp off because of the heat. They will be moving out to the coop brooding pen this weekend and I am concerned about managing the temp. We`ll have the lamp off during the day but I am wondering about night. Our older birds need that temperature drop to lower their temps to regulate heat better. Will it be too cold for the little ones? (day temps low 90s (probably low 80`s in the coop) and night temps high 60s to low 70`s probably mid 70`s in the coop).

Well.. I got the chciks during a particularly nice stretch of weather here in maine. My birds are now entering thier third week and have grown leeps and bounds.. the RIR red rooster is showing signs as if he is more in the 5 wek range as thay all are with pin feathers around the neck area. With all this heat and a constant 90+ degrees in the coop..I have shut off the heat lamp completely. THey have not had it day or night..90 degrees during the day and the lowest temp has been 79 at night. They have been fine and growing at an astonishing rate. So you should be great! and saving a little money from not having it on so much!

I had the same question! We have had some bipolar weather here in SW WA and I'm not sure what to do to keep temps constant. Here's the forecast for the first few days we'll have the chicks, which will be 3 days old http://www.wunderground.com/US/WA/Camas.html. I know I can leave the lamp off during the day...but how do you keep them cool if they are too warm? and should i turn on the lamp once it drops below the 90s?

Last edited:
Hokankai, we are north west of you on Vancouver Island with exactly the same forecast...has gone from crappy fall-like weather to summer overnight and my poor birdies have not had the chance to adapt. I did leave the lamp off last night after reading advice from Daniel (assuming the name from below
smile.png
). The two week old chicks were very energetic this morning and I am going to go ahead with moving them to the brooder in the coop tonight as planned. Thanks for your response it put my mind at ease.
I am doing some preplanning as our coop was pretty warm last night. Put some containers in the freezer to put in with my big guys tonight. They are outside during the day with lots of shade and rocks under the coop that will keep them cool. I am also going to try the frozen watermelon trick to cool them down as it is one of their favorite treats anyways. They were panting pretty hard last night at 86 in the coop so I want to keep on top of it for this stretch of warm weather....no complaints about the sunshine here though.

Another person from this corner of the country: We put in a lower watt bulb in the house and turn it on at night. I am happy to get any kind of summer after what we've had so far!
celebrate.gif

Hooray for Washington! I'm loving sun, but not so much the heat...but I think I'm going to put a fan above the brooder, some frozen bottles in the brooder, and some fleece/rice freezer packs for them to snuggle up to if they get too hot. I'm considering leaving the lamp off until the weather cools down again. The chicks will be in my garage so it's warm throughout the night for the most part
hmm.png
I'm just worried about the 3 day old chicks! Do lower watt bulbs work in the lamp for the 250 watt bulbs? I think I'm going to try that as well

Back
Top Bottom