Hot weather breeds (calling all Arizona chicken wranglers)?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by domromer, Nov 8, 2007.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    We are moving to Tucson in a few months and want to continue raising chickens. What breeds to well in that sort of heat?

Any other backyard chicken people from Tucson here? I'm trying to figure out what the chicken keeping laws are down there.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  2. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I know a lot of people think they're ugly, but Naked Necks do exceptionally well in the heat. They have 30% less feathers than normally feathered chickens and don't seem to have a problem with the cold, either.

3. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Are they good layers?

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Mine are...I can't speak for anyone else's.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I believe any medderterian breed will do better in hot weather than the others... just most are flighty too.

6. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our temps in the summer are usually in the 100-110 range. I have Orpingtons, Wyandottes, EE's, an Australorp, and Ameraucanas. I put a box fan on a timer to run during the heat of the day in their pen and haven't had any problems at all. On extremely hot days I go out and wet down the dirt in their pen.

7. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I live in Tucson and have plymouth rocks( barred, buff, partridge, and white) I got them for a few reasons but one reason is that my neighbors have chickens and when I asked them about the breeds they said ee'r ,rir, and plymouth rocks do well here in the heat. Mine have not had a summer yet, they are babies but as I said the neighbors have had them for years and they do fine. They also listed some other breeds that I can't remember right now but when I find the list I will post them.

8. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Do you know what the chicken laws are in Tucson? I've been on the city of Tucson page and can't find any info.

9. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    Egyptian Fayoumi do really well in the heat. They also lay well.

10. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    Did the e-mail address help? Probably not. If you set me a message and told me what neighborhood you were moving to I could probably find out more info. for you. Just found this hope it helps. http://www.awasa.org/tucson_code_IV.html

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by