Hot weather, broody hens, how long is an egg good to sit in the coop?

SoORchick73

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
We are in the 90s here, I have 3 broody hens sitting...and other hens that occasionally raid their clutch and lay an egg. And of course the other hens laying in the near boxes normally. We will be 108 by the weekend. I try to get the eggs twice a day when I'm home. The eggs that were laid the same day, and a broody ends up sitting on for several hours (3-5 hours?) Would you keep and immediately refrigerate or toss those? The ones being laid in the nest boxes are fine but I don't know what the rule is for an egg that's been laid with a hen sitting on it half the day. I work 12s, when I get home in the am I can't get to the coop until after I wake at 3 pm...so those eggs under a broody have been "incubating" for 6 hours maybe. I'm referring to the eggs that get laid on a clutch that a broody has briefly left. Thank you :)

As long as you gather the eggs at least once a day the eggs are fine. You re not going to see any development in there. If you don’t gather them every day you can find surprises. Just make sure you clean up after all the hens have laid for that day.

Back
Top Bottom