Hot weather coops, how to protect, yet ventilate

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by helloroe, Aug 31, 2009.

1. helloroe

helloroe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Cetral FL
    We are in central florida and it is hot. I put ventilation in my coop but when I close it at night I don't feel they have enough air movement really. So my next coop is already in the planning so people that have very open coops with hardware cloth in the window, what did you do to make certain this is secure enough to protect your birds? I want this as open as can be but safe as we have neighbor dogs and hawks and snakes and coons that have already visited.

2. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    I use 2x4 weld wire for the run and then cover with the hardwire cloth around the very bottom. For windows, I just use the hardware cloth, covering the edges with 1x2 lathing strips. To keep out hawks, I cover the top with chicken wire. So far I havent had any problems, but I have a good dog that runs everything out of the yard.

3. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    We also have 2 x 4 welded wire around the runs with (around the bantam run and soon the standard chicken one too) hardware cloth around the bottom half of the fence. Over the top of the runs and overlapping the top half of the fence we have gamebird netting stretched. We keep the windows open all the time and they are covered with hardware cloth screwed on with strips of wood. We have a LOT of predators here and have had no unlawful entries on the side that is totally finished. The other day there were two large dogs trying to get into the run but they couldn't get through. To me the dogs are the ultimate test as they are incredibly strong when they see something flapping and squawking close by! THe standard birds run is still without the hardware cloth around the bottom and we encountered a LARGE rat snake in the nesting boxes the other day! But we leave the human size door in the bantam section open day and night for added air movement and I have a fan on most of the summer to keep the air moving. We keep adding windows with hardware cloth as it really makes a big difference to the atmosphere in the coop. We have closed the coop up a couple of time this summer because of heavy rain etc and the coop was hot and steamy by the morning- nasty!

Good luck figuring out a system for you.

4. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    My coop has ventilation all the way across the top and covered in chicken wire...

[​IMG]

we've had it this way for over 1yr and its worked out for us. There roost branches are right even with this on the inside so when they roost they can see out, and across the yard...and get air...we also have other roosts inside the coop, ladder style to the back of the coop if they dont want to be up front.

you also on the side notice a smaller slit type of opening also covered in wire...this is all across the back.

5. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I worry about the ventilation too. I am in north Florida. So far all our coops have been recycled rabbit coops. The hardware cloth is very important for protection. [​IMG] I was more worried in winter cause my coops were so open, but all my chickens did just fine. [​IMG]

6. helloroe

helloroe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Cetral FL
    Thank you everyone. Yes you gave me some great ideas and 2txmedics I saw your inside photos on another posting and I love that idea. Do you have a door to close on the front at night or does it stay open always? I like open, simple, easy to clean. Less is better is what I am going for with this next coop.

Any more ideas or suggestions for open air but safe I would appreciate!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by