Hot Weather Egg Delivery! Day 2!

TeePants

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2011
Due to unforseen circumstances and unfortunate shipping dates, our Silver Lace Sebright eggs will be arriving tomorrow. The post office is closed so they'll be put on the delivery truck (they're marked call to pick up but I called and they said on Sat they'll deliver anyway).

The high tommorow is 96 degrees with 77% humidity. Should I just rest the eggs in the incubator when I get them and leave them alone for 24 hours before turning? I read on another post that in hot weather that was better to do than letting them sit out and possibly killing the ones that had already begun to develop.

I also planned on candling first to see how juggled they got on the ride, although I'm really not sure how much I'll be able to see since it's so early.

Last edited:
I get better hatches and HAVE BEEN TOLD, that in hot weather to set them in the incubator asap after delivery. Do not mess with them. BUT I do candle quickly for cracks and fractures. Just let them rest in the bator after a quick scan so they don't chill in case they have started developing. MHO.. I mainly do quail eggs...

in hot weather i unpack the eggs.. candle them for cracks and to check air cells and put them right in the bator.. but I leave the turner off for a few hours... some people say that they let the eggs sit for three days or so if they have detached air cells.. but when I had a batch with bad air cells it made 0 difference (NONE of the air cells reattached for me).. maybe my eggs were in worse shape than theirs.. I dunno.. so your results may vary if you ever run into that issue.

Oh crap, I wish I would have read this earlier. I just got shipped eggs in the mail yesterday. they have been sitting in an egg carten for 12 hours now with the pointy end down. Should I put them in now or wait 12 more hours?

Quote:
personally.. i would put them in the bator.. i've tried letting eggs sit on the counter for a few days as opposed to putting them right in.. i think i had better hatches when I put them in right away..
It's also possible that they could have started to develop en-route.. all depends on how much heat they have been exposed to and how well they were insulated in the shipping box

I have tried it both ways, personally I've always had better hatch rates when I let them set for at least 24 hours then I set them up in the egg turner outside bator for another 24 hours then in they go. I've always had better luck that way.
Michele

THEY'RE HERE THEY'RE HERE!
celebrate.gif

I got five, and they all came through the mail OK! I'm going to go get an LED flashlight since my fiance neglected to look for our maglite, but I set them to rest in the incubator after attempting to candle them with a small lamp.
roll.png
IT SORTA WORKED, but I'll have pics of the candleing when I'm back.

Sooo...should I wear gloves or use a tissue to handle them? I washed my hands before I unpacked them, but I'm just nervous because they are SO TINY!

Here they are, hanging out in the 'bator.

silversebrightday1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom