Hot weather & quiet breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 1dude, Dec 29, 2007.

1. 1dude

1dude In the Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Pace, Florida
    Howdy,

I have grown up with chickens in colder areas, but now I live near Pensacola Florida. I found out we can have chickens where I live and thought it would be nice to share with the grand kids. Plus help keep down the undesired bugs etc in the yard.
    I have a list of quiet chickens, but not sure which ones will tollorate heat the best. July and August are brutally hot and humid!!!
    So any recommendations?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Catalina

Catalina Songster

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    In my very small experience, with only 5 chickens, Bantams are usually quieter.

They try to be as loud as the big girls, but thankfully they can't. [​IMG]

3. featherfooted

featherfooted Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    My brahmas are the quietest ones I have. You hardly hear anything from them. They also handled the heat wave last summer very well. Layed through the whole thing.

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Songster

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    I have bantam light brahmas and they are quiet and laying good. I also had (until hawks go them) wyandotte bantams and they were VERY good. Now if I can just find some more.....

5. 1dude

1dude In the Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Pace, Florida
    Thanks all...

I am thinking about building a mobile pen for them. That way I can bring it up in the shade of the house.
    I think my sister has Ameraucana, she gets light blue eggs, which are pretty neat. Thats kind of what I wanted but I need keep the heat in mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: