Hot weather

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by avroncotton, Jan 29, 2009.

1. avroncotton

avroncotton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Victoria Australia
    My chooks are suffering. Today reached 45c (110f) and the girls were all suffering. I gave then cold water to drink. They forcast the same for tomorrow. (S.E. Australia). Would it be a shock for them if I gave them a dunk in a cool bath? I dont want to give them a heart attak!

Tony

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I wouldn't dunk them!! But I have heard of others that "lightly" spray their chickens with water spray or use a mister in the run.

I have heard of hens that run toward the light spray with their wings outstretched!!!

Do you have lots of ventilation in your coop??? You might want to water down the OUTSIDE of the coop to reduce heat. Do your chickens have a SHADY place to go in the daytime??? Can you cover part of your run???

You might want to go to the SEARCH function in the blue line up above and then type in "hot weather" or other topics!!

Most folks in the US are dealing with ice and snow storms right now and have a hard time getting their minds around 110F temps!!!

Good Luck!!

Cindy

3. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    You can set out frozen water bottles for them or put ice in their waterer. Or mist them like California Chick said. Mine love the sprinkler. I did these things last summer when it got hot like that here.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Provide lots of shade options.
    Breezes - run fans they that can choose to stand near and can choose to roost near (for roosting, not blowing directly on them, but circulating air in the room).
    Icy cold treats - watermelon etc. I put wedges of watermelon in the freezer for 20-30 minutes before serving and they love it on a hot day. Cantelope, berries - many fruits are enjoyed by chickens.
    Cool water available at all times - this may require putting chunks of ice in water bowls and then changing when melted and too warm.
    For really grizzly days a bit of electroltyes in their water or drizzled on their cold fruit (can use pedialtye in a pinch - must be kept refrigerated - or use one of the electrolyte recipes found here on BYC)
    No heavy foods in the heat of day.
    My birds have never ever appreciated being wet tho I hear some do. There are misters that bring down the air temp - you can search here on BYC for more info.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by