Hot weather

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by purpledonna, Dec 30, 2009.

1. purpledonna

purpledonna Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    I am relatively new to chicken keeping and am wondering if it is normal for my chickens to pant during very hot weather? I have also noticed one of them holding her wings out slightly. Only one of them is laying and she has missed 2 days(not in a row) in the last 10 days.... is this due to our hot summer? [​IMG]

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Yes it is ! The one holding her wings out is trying to cool herself and they pant because they dont sweat. Offer lots of fresh cool water and maybe a fan. That wold help circulate air! I used a fan on my girls this last summer! Good luck!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Very normal. In addition to the advice that The Chicken People gave you, I am very careful about not doing anything to stir my chickens up during hot weather. I let them be quiet and lay around in the shade all day.

4. purpledonna

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    Thanks guys!

I have been putting a frozen water bottle in their coop for them to sit near if they want and they have ample water available.

Good to hear that their behaviour is normal!

[​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Chickens can handle cold weather better than really hot. Probably has to do with that down coat they like to wear. You need to make sure they have shade and access to water. The panting and the wing spreading are ways to cool off.

Some chickens seem to take a break every now and then just to recharge their batteries, but many chickens slow down or stop laying entirely in real hot weather. It puts a stress on them. Again, access to water all the time helps. As long as they have shade and water they should be OK, but don't be surprised if they slow down laying in the next month or two.

Enjoy your summer as I prepare to go break the ice on their water bowl.

6. purpledonna

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    Thanks for the info!

We have been getting temps in the mid to high 30s (Celsius not sure what that equates to in f) Today it was 41 with tomorrow being hotter.... this is pretty much the norm for this time of year and we NEVER have to crack the ice! I have never seen snow!

Have a good New Years!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mine all but stop laying from June-August... and I have an AC unit in my coop! (I need to insulate my coop better)

Have a blessed summer.

8. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I am envious! it is gonna get up to 0 degrees celsius today! Yay! anyhow, when it gets hot in the summer here I do notice that I have a few chickens who will lie on thier side, open the wing on the upper side and just relax. The 1st time I saw it I was worried, but then I realized that they were fine, just a little warm. Happy new year!!

9. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    We get really hot here in the summer and another thing I do is use the mister on the water hose and just pass it by them a couple times my girls love to play in the water! I even offer a big water dish for standing in! Like a childs swimming pool!
    I got another inch or two of snow last night...on top of what has been on the ground for ever!!!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  10. purpledonna

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    The girls have a 'swimming pool' and a shade sail on the afternoon sun side of their coop/run!

They are a bit overindulged.... nice cold grapes were their afternoon treat today! [​IMG]

I can't help myself...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by