Hot weather

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jennifer0, May 26, 2010.

1. jennifer0

jennifer0 New Egg

May 24, 2010
    Hi I'm new at this so bear with me. The girls are not quite a year ( my first time with chickens) and it's very hot today. They have indoor/outdoor area( fenced) shade outside. Yet they are all in coop, it's hot. And they are nestling together and fluffing about in the litter ( using deep litter method). Are they ok? Or should I be doing something with them. I have not witnessed this behavior before.

Thanks for any suggestions:/

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    They are probably dust bathing to try to cool off. Can you give them a bucket or tub of cool dirt to play in?

3. prancie

prancie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    they are just dust bathing, it may not evern be heat related. Mine dust bathe in the coop every day.

4. jennifer0

jennifer0 New Egg

May 24, 2010
    :cool:Thanks , they seem fine now! I think that u r right just dust bathing as u said. thankx

5. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    [​IMG]

From Phoenix, where we have many, many days over 115 F of dry heat during the year, the consensus is that water and shade are the main survival requirements. Well, that and don't lock them in a box (coup/shed/etc) with no air flo that can turn into and oven and cook them. (most have 3 sided coups...if that many sides. There are lots of tips on things to do for additional comfort if you wish, like bowls of water for them to stand in, frozen 2 L pop bottles for them to rest by, ice in their water, misters and frozen treats.... but all those are perks. And, I don't know where you are, but my chickens might start complaining at 95, but I know they will adjust after a week or so. Of course, when it is over 105...higher than their temp, then I start thinking about spoiling them a bit. Do a forum search for Hot weather and you should find lots of info. But, shade and water and air circulation are the main things. Oh, and don't feed them scratch in hot weather. You can tell they are hot when you see them panting and having very, very water poo. More like water with little poo pieces in it.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by