Hot Wire Fail, help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mxday22, Jan 20, 2018.

1. mxday22

mxday22 Hatching

Jan 19, 2018
    Hello! I was hoping to get more help from someone (anyone!) who has experience with setting up hot wire fences....
    We recently set up a hot wire fence and it won't work! We tried to re configure and still nothing!
    I'm not even sure where to begin to trouble shoot!

Help!!

Attached Files:

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    You are touching the wood board when you go around the post for starters. That will short it out.

DwayneNLiz likes this.
  3. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    It can't be touching the wood stakes for 1 thing..
    You might would consider using a thick copper line on the ground connection. Wet the soil periodically.
    Is it a pulse charge? Is it making a clicking sound?
    Is there enough sun to charge it?
    Is it brand new?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  4. Farmer Connie

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    It is grounded out on wire fencing in this photo. It cannot touch anything! 1233223-1bf7ed762830d0da7b187044cb65671b.jpg

EggSighted4Life likes this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x3! And welcome!!!
    What can your tape carry in voltage? Is it enough? How deep is your ground post buried, and is the ground damp or very dry where you live? Fence testers are pretty cheap and very worth having; then you'll know exactly what charge your fence is carrying. Is the solar panel set up right, and has it had time to charge up?
    Mary

6. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hot tape doesn't like to be bunched together how you have the 2 strands running through the insulators. The current will jump from one strand to the other and over time will burn the filaments. I don't like the tape running off the charger, through the fence and to the ground. I would use coated wire. No chance of it shorting on anything. You probably don't have a good ground (not enough contact).

Farmer Connie likes this.
  7. Farmer Connie

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    You need to zoom in on the photo that I duplicated for the Op. He has the hot wire strap touching the wire fence and touching the T post. hot wire will not work when they are touching ground faults. he needs to rewire it with the hot wire strap not touching the T post and not touching the welded wire fence.
    Eventually the box will burn out.They need to Take off the strap and start over. This time, the strap touches nothing but the isolation stand offs.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  8. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I realize that and noted. I am
    pointing out additional problems with the set up that once it gets off the wood, it will still have performance issues. There are multiple problems here.

9. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2016
    California's Redwood Coast
    Grounded out and bad ground (it needs to be a solid wire ground)... should have more than 1 grounding post...

Already lots of good eyes here!

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Mxday, can you find a local person who can walk you through proper instillation? I used a local farmer for help long ago, and Premier1fencing.com, and the book on livestock fencing.
    Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: