1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hot wire?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Denece&Lacey, May 1, 2008.

1. Denece&Lacey

Denece&Lacey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    Have any of you tried electric fencing? I just wondered how well it worked. How much does that kind of thing usually cost. I have no idea. Thanks:confused:

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    We have used electric fence with other animals not with chickens.

3. Denece&Lacey

Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    I was just thinking of putting it on the outside of the fence so nothing could get in.

4. Flycropper

Flycropper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I'm using it. I have two rows. One is low to the ground to get any that try digging (though I do have buried fencing). The other row is about half way up for a climber that gets past the low row. I am considering moving the middle row to the top of the fence.

I think it's a good for keeping out raccoons, possums, skunks, foxes and other varmits like that. Mine has a pretty good pop to it. I know from experience and so does my youngest son!!

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  5. WikkitGateFarm

WikkitGateFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Pickaway County, Ohio
    Run it on the outside of the fence, a few inches up from the ground, and a few inches out from the fence. Deters most critters that would try to dig under or climb up from the ground. The fence wire is cheap, since it's just a single strand of smooth wire. The insulators will cost just a bit more, and you can get ones that are extra long so they hold the wire out several inches. A fencer (the electric box) can go for as little as $20. More depending on the length of wire, how often you mow, and if you want fancy stuff like solar power.

I saw some electrified poultry mesh for sale on the back of a magazine not too long ago. It was touted as the ultimate solution for super-effective and super-portable fencing. It might be good, but I think it was just an ad writer in overdrive.

6. Denece&Lacey

Mar 17, 2008
    Alvord, Tx
    I have seen that mesh also. I need to check into it just in case its something that will work. Thanks for the ideas everybody. I have had a dog kill all of my chickens before and I dont want it to happen again!!

7. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Try kencove.com or afence.com Both of these sites will show you how to install the fence. The information they give is straight forward and easy to understand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by