1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Hottie Heat Stroke Girl recovering, but still cannot walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KristyAz, Jun 8, 2011.

1. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    My BO, in case you didn't see my panicky post on Sunday, is recovering nicely in the house. She looks much better, is eating and drinking. I got her the electrolytes for her water at the feed store.

She still is very wobbly on her feet.

Does anyone have experience with heat stroke and the after effects? This problem with walking isn't permanent I hope. And what about heat stroke causes that symptom? I want to put her back outside this weekend when I am home to keep an eye on her, but if she can't walk, thinking that's not a good idea.

2. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Anyone?

3. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Don't put her back until she is walking normally and strong again. It may take a week or so for the effects of the heat-stroke induced electrolyte imbalance to correct itself, as well as the other effects of the heat stroke. She is improving, which is a great sign, so give her all the time she needs to fuly recover. I'm glad she's on the mend! [​IMG]

4. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    Hello KristyAz [​IMG]
    I went looking online to try to find something about chickens with heat stroke but unfortunately everything I found was what leads up to the heat stroke and I found nothing about the after.
    One article I did read stated that the high temps that cause heat stroke also cause brain damage. This might be a reason for the wobbly legs?

Hopefully she will recover given a few more days. Wish I could help more.

5. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Thank you. Yes, that's what I found as well. I may have not gotten to her in time Sunday.

Hoping someone who has experienced this will chime in and let me know how their patient did in the long run.

6. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Quote:Thank you, yes she seems to be better. It's a slow process I guess. I just started to worry that maybe I didn't get to her in time and that the damage was permanent.

7. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Electrolyte imbalance can cause muscle weekness. Thanks for mentioning that, I googled it and see it's part of this condition. I have a little more hope now that she will recover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by