Hotwing's New House (the BLRW house)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CarriBrown, Jan 21, 2008.

1. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Here are some pics of the small coop DH and I built for Hotwing, Potpie, and their future bunk mates. First, we added another 6 feet to the main run and then split it in half. Each roo now has his own 15 feet of run. DH framed in a door, so you have to walk through Hotwing's run to get to Kip's run.
    (notice Dolly on the trash can, haha)
    [​IMG]

Then we started on the coop. It's a simple design since we are in fair weathered Southern California. It's approx 2 feet deep, four feet long and four feet tall.

[​IMG]

It is also fairly light and mobile, so we painted Copper Green on the legs so the wood won't rot. That way we don't have to set it in concrete. The roof is also slanted back in case we get some rain... then the birds don't have to jump through a waterfall to get in and out.

The roost is up above the community nest box. We put a roof on the nest box so roosting birds don't poop on nesting birds! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We ancored the roof to the roosting perch.
    [​IMG]

It's not quite finished but this is where we left off. There is only this open door here. The coop is facing the opposite direction of wind and rain, and it's under a tree, as well. The open door makes it easy to grab eggs from the nests and it gives the birds a draft during our hot winters.
    [​IMG]

There is enough room on the bottom floor for the birds to jump up to the roost. Here, Hotwing and Potpie show us that they DON'T like the roost and they'd rather sleep on the next box roof! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It still needs paint and shingles, and we're also going to put a lip on the nest box so shavings don't end up out on the ground.

I think he likes his new home!
    [​IMG]

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Looks great.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Very cool!!! Gosh I wish we had some of that CA warmth right now! [​IMG]

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    That's really nice Carri! I like that you left the trees and added them as part of the coop...should be Happy Hotwings, Potpie and Dolly!! Can't wait to see the anmes you come up for the new ones to come, lol!

5. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Wow hotwing is awsome. ive never seen a BLRW roo before...LOL. Im wating for my aunt to get back so i can see if its ok for you to come down. I will call you when she gets back. Ohh do you want me to PM you my adress so you can look it up on mapquest? And BTW hotwing is really good looking.

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Thanks!
    Actually, Dolly is a part of the Kip clan, but she saw me and freaked out because I'm not hanging out with HER!! [​IMG]
    Kip's run also has two trees. We do have netting to keep the hawks out, but the trees add extra protection and some shade for the hot days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by