Hotwire outside the run-how far apart and how many?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gale65, Jul 1, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We are thinking about doing this (temporarily) if we go on vacation next summer so we can keep the coop door open. There isn't anyone we know who is willing to come out here at 7 am and again at 9:30 or later to open/close and we are looking at alternatives to the auto openers (due to our coop design only allowing one type and also the cost). If we do this, how far from the ground and how far apart is best? Also dh said the grass growing up underneath would interfere with the hotwire so if you have this, do you put concrete or gravel or something around the run?

Also how do you do the door area?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd put the bottom wire at about 6 inches, a second at 2-3 ft, and one just below the top.
    Run a piece over the door to connect the opposite side of the run

For the door itself, use "Polywire" and use an insulated piece on the hinge side to connect to your main wire.
    Run a piece over the door to connect the opposite side of the run

In fact, you could use Polywire for the whole setup, since it's much easier to work with.
    With a little careful thought before you start, you may be able to run the whole thing with one piece

You'll just need to keep the grass trimmed or you could spray something to kill it

[​IMG]

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:thank you! The main reason the grass is an issue is because when we go on vacation, we're often gone for nearly 3 weeks. The grass would grow quite a bit in that amount of time, especially during the hot part of summer when we usually go. Wouldn't an herbicide be bad for the chickens if it drifted in the pen a little?

DH has rolls and rolls of traditional electric fence wire so he would probably use that but I'll mention the polywire. (we have cattle).

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Wouldn't an herbicide be bad for the chickens if it drifted in the pen a little?

You could carefully spray Roundup and not have a problem with drift.

Polywire will be easier to tighten than wire, without having to use strainers and heavy duty insulators, but if you have actual wire, it can work too​

5. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I have electric fencing around my run and coop for the same reason. When we go away I leave the pop door open. Our electric fence consists of five wires. The lowest wire is hot and is about 6 inches off the ground and the other wires are 8 inches apart and alternate between hot and ground. I.E three hot and two ground. Our set up is able to discourage bears and other large animals in addition to the smaller predator. If you are going to be gone you should spray roundup to keep the grass and other vegetation from growing up and grounding the hot wire. My fence stands about 2 -3 feet outside my run and coop and the elctric is not part of the run. Got the entire setup at Tractor Supply. On occasion we have seen large prints (bear and bobcat) around the fence and it was obvious they were shocked, but nothing has ever gotten near the run and coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by