Houdan chick, 7 weeks old, wet area on abdomen, weak,falls over, HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilchik, Jun 25, 2010.

1. lilchik

lilchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    This is the last of my Houdan chicks, had 3, already lost two. Those two showed no signs or symptoms, just found them dead. One at 1 week and one at 5 weeks. Also had 3 Polish, lost one at 2 weeks and one at 4 weeks, one left. All from same breeder and in same brooder.

This chick is 7 weeks old, appeared healthy until today. When I went to clean the brooder this morning, I noticed it falling over on its side, one leg pulled up to the abdomen, the other leg kicking out. Upon examaning the chick noticed on the abdomen an area about the size of a quarter, looks as though it was wet, the feathers are hard and dried to the skin.

I am searching BYC but thought I would post so while I'm searching, perhaps someone would be able to help.

Their brooder is kept very clean, fresh water and nonmedicated starter feed. I was using medicated feed at first, but others on BYC suggested nonmedicated feed after loosing previous chicks.

2. lilchik

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    I washed the area on the abdomen with warm water and dried it off. There is no visible wound or anything that looks like its draining.

With the feathers wet it was easier to see details, the breast bone is very prominent and the abdomen looks very round. This is the first time I have had Houdan chicks, so not sure what it should look like as their body shape is different than other chickens.

I gave her some Sulmet mixed with water and applied triple antibiotic ointment to the abdomen just in case.

I called the breeder this morning to seek advice. She said she was not loosing any of her polish or houdan chicks????? And didn't really have any ideas what the problem was or suggestions to help. If I were loosing other chicks (silkie, frizzle, and sizzle chicks I hatched are all doing great with no loses) I would think it was something I was doing, but I am not. Only the Houdan and Polish.

Anyone? Please help.

3. lilchik

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    Here's is picture of her lying on her side. She looks like she is uncomfortable.

Anyone????

[​IMG]

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I had some chicks that died all of a sudden at an older age too, and it was the yolk had absorbed into their stomach all right, but had gotten infected, and had big round tummy, no outward signs, and then all of a sudden, Super sick, then dead. I hope that's not what you've got. Mine were about 5-6 weeks old when it happened. no previous signs of illness.

5. lilchik

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    The abdomen feels mushy and I can feel hard areas inside. She is much weaker, lethargic. I have searched to no end and can not find anything that matches he syptoms and age. Everything for mushy abdomen says newly hatched or egg peritonitis. She is 7 weeks old.

I don't know what else to do.

Help, anyone!!!

6. lilchik

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    She died around 6:30pm...

7. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Soooooo Sorry.

8. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    chickensducks&agoose :

I had some chicks that died all of a sudden at an older age too, and it was the yolk had absorbed into their stomach all right, but had gotten infected, and had big round tummy, no outward signs, and then all of a sudden, Super sick, then dead. I hope that's not what you've got. Mine were about 5-6 weeks old when it happened. no previous signs of illness.

That's interesting - I never knew that could happen. Do you know anything about it? How it happens, if it can be treated or any preventative measures that can be taken?

Sorry to hear about your babies - I honestly have no idea what could be going wrong. was there any sign of blood in the poop (sign of cocci)? Just trying to throw an idea out there for you.​

9. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I'm so sorry. I know next to nothing about chick diseases but when you said she had one leg stretched out, I thought that was a symptom of Mareks? Again, I know nothing about this, but you could look into it to see if anything matches. Again, how terrible for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by