Houdan, EE and Silkies 12 wks (new Houdan pictures)

Hens4Fun

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, California
Ok ... I've tried to be patient, but I have questions
roll.png

First the Silkies. I know the Silkies probably are still way too young, but I'm wondering if the fact that one has a comb and what appear to be the beginnings of wattles makes any difference? Do both males & females have combs? 2 of mine seem to have nothing in the way of combs ... the other one has had one for several weeks..it doesn't show well, but is fairly rosey in color already:
44717_silkie_1.jpg

44717_silkie_2.jpg

44717_silkie_3.jpg

The Houdan.... I can find very little information on Houdans. Is it too soon to make a prediction on this one as to male/female?
44717_houdan_for_byc.jpg

And finally ... this EE's tail is suddenly very long .... yet almost no comb of any kind... does it look like a she??
44717_ee_for_byc.jpg

Last edited:
The houdans are a pair, male on left,
top silkie pics look to be a pair male on right, black silkie male, last silkie female
I dont know on the ee's. dont keep them

Both on silkies will get combs, hens will super tiny to near non-existant on good ones
The males have a slightly different build to them, quick way to tell, hens will have nice tight fro's, roos will often get a few extra long streamers in their crest, if you see those, you can bet he's a male

I hear ya on the houdans, nobody has them to amount to anything here in the states, making it hard to find any info, try the polish breeders club, they have them on there.
I have them in bantam white and mottled. The roos crest will get longer, usually have a pronounced V comb, hens crest stays tight even and round. again very little if any comb

Aubrey

Thanks for your insight ... especially the suggestion for the polish site.

To clarify each picture is one chicken...sometimes from two angles. So for now I'm going to hope your prediction from the picture on the right of the Houdan being female hangs true....I REALLY want this chicken to be a hen
hmm.png
it just cracks me up!

Disappointed that your early call on the black silkie is male ... sigh ... it's been the sweetest bird from the start, so I've been partial to it all along... but, then, I knew it was a crap-shoot on the silkies from the start.

he.gif
I can't have so many roos! I already know my dark brahma is one .......
hit.gif
I hate to re-home. Gosh I wish it were possible to get chicks that were 100% guaranteed as hens. I get so attached.

Last edited:
I'm going to say that your barred silkie looks like a cockerel. Looks like there are little streamers coming in.

Silkie no. two looks like a pullet, no streamers, same with no. three.
Don't take my word for it though
tongue.png

Houdan looks like a pullet.

Hard to tell on the EE sicne the picture's small. Any pointed and glossy feathers in the hackle and saddle region?
Due to the age with no signs of a comb, I'm gong to say pullet. But again, don't take my word for it
smile.png

HA, well there ya go, shows how the effects of angles can effect how one looks in a picture.
I'd like to see the tail of the houdan before I chage, crest in left pic look like a cockerel, if it has long saddle feathers, it is for sure.

As for the silkies, you can see them better in person, look for those longer crest streamers, and a knotty comb.

Not sure about the others but the EE looks like a pullet.

I have a girl that looks just like yours and at first her tail feathers were a little pointy at the ends but at about 12-14 weeks old she lost those tail feathers and grew in very round pullet tail feathers.

I've read on here that the brown color variation she has is typical for EE pullets. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!!

Last edited:
The silkies are way too young to make an accurate guess, much less an accurate assessment of gender. The bottom one--is it grey? Penciling could give a gender ID, but the resolution of the photo needs to be better for that.

Thanks for input everyone ... I know I truly need to be more patient on the Silkies ... but the fact that one has had the comb going for a while I hoped meant something. Love the link Becky ... thanks!
Here are two more pictures of the Houdan... maybe they will help: (i tried from a distance ... but the black feathers all meld together as do the white ... I have a terrible time with that combination!
44717_zzhoudan2.jpg

44717_zz_houdan.jpg

Back
Top Bottom