1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Houdan, EE and Silkies 12 wks (new Houdan pictures)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hens4Fun, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    Ok ... I've tried to be patient, but I have questions [​IMG]

First the Silkies. I know the Silkies probably are still way too young, but I'm wondering if the fact that one has a comb and what appear to be the beginnings of wattles makes any difference? Do both males & females have combs? 2 of mine seem to have nothing in the way of combs ... the other one has had one for several weeks..it doesn't show well, but is fairly rosey in color already:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Houdan.... I can find very little information on Houdans. Is it too soon to make a prediction on this one as to male/female?
    [​IMG]

And finally ... this EE's tail is suddenly very long .... yet almost no comb of any kind... does it look like a she??
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    The houdans are a pair, male on left,
    top silkie pics look to be a pair male on right, black silkie male, last silkie female
    I dont know on the ee's. dont keep them

Both on silkies will get combs, hens will super tiny to near non-existant on good ones
    The males have a slightly different build to them, quick way to tell, hens will have nice tight fro's, roos will often get a few extra long streamers in their crest, if you see those, you can bet he's a male

I hear ya on the houdans, nobody has them to amount to anything here in the states, making it hard to find any info, try the polish breeders club, they have them on there.
    I have them in bantam white and mottled. The roos crest will get longer, usually have a pronounced V comb, hens crest stays tight even and round. again very little if any comb

Aubrey

3. Hens4Fun

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    Thanks for your insight ... especially the suggestion for the polish site.

To clarify each picture is one chicken...sometimes from two angles. So for now I'm going to hope your prediction from the picture on the right of the Houdan being female hangs true....I REALLY want this chicken to be a hen [​IMG] it just cracks me up!

Disappointed that your early call on the black silkie is male ... sigh ... it's been the sweetest bird from the start, so I've been partial to it all along... but, then, I knew it was a crap-shoot on the silkies from the start.

[​IMG] I can't have so many roos! I already know my dark brahma is one ....... [​IMG] I hate to re-home. Gosh I wish it were possible to get chicks that were 100% guaranteed as hens. I get so attached.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  4. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    I'm going to say that your barred silkie looks like a cockerel. Looks like there are little streamers coming in.

Silkie no. two looks like a pullet, no streamers, same with no. three.
    Don't take my word for it though [​IMG]

Houdan looks like a pullet.

Hard to tell on the EE sicne the picture's small. Any pointed and glossy feathers in the hackle and saddle region?
    Due to the age with no signs of a comb, I'm gong to say pullet. But again, don't take my word for it [​IMG]

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    HA, well there ya go, shows how the effects of angles can effect how one looks in a picture.
    I'd like to see the tail of the houdan before I chage, crest in left pic look like a cockerel, if it has long saddle feathers, it is for sure.

As for the silkies, you can see them better in person, look for those longer crest streamers, and a knotty comb.

6. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Not sure about the others but the EE looks like a pullet.

I have a girl that looks just like yours and at first her tail feathers were a little pointy at the ends but at about 12-14 weeks old she lost those tail feathers and grew in very round pullet tail feathers.

I've read on here that the brown color variation she has is typical for EE pullets. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    My guess on the houdan would be that it is a hen but really it is a bit young for me to tell without a better shot (sometimes with Polish and houdan the closer shots are harder to tell than a bit farther away).
    This thread has been brought back up about Houdan, you might find some interesting pics and links there.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=106119

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The silkies are way too young to make an accurate guess, much less an accurate assessment of gender. The bottom one--is it grey? Penciling could give a gender ID, but the resolution of the photo needs to be better for that.

9. Hens4Fun

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    Thanks for input everyone ... I know I truly need to be more patient on the Silkies ... but the fact that one has had the comb going for a while I hoped meant something. Love the link Becky ... thanks!
    Here are two more pictures of the Houdan... maybe they will help: (i tried from a distance ... but the black feathers all meld together as do the white ... I have a terrible time with that combination!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    good side view is best for sex id, but looks like he's getting saddle feathers back there and has long hackle feathers too, pretty sure it's a boy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by