1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Houdan frizzle

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by doxies1, Jan 28, 2011.

1. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    If anyone has frizzle houdans I want to buy eggs or chicks. I have a frizzle houdan rooster and I'm fascinated with him.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Curious, is he truly a purebred, 5-toed, frizzled Houdan? I've never heard of such. . . I know of an have Frizzled Polish though.

3. doxies1

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    Yes five toed frizzle houdan. My wife's friend saw one when they were at the national show in Ohio also. Really neat, but I hope mine makes the winter. It insist on roosting outside. I have Houdan chicks coming and will breed him to all the hens I get.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Ah, well, Duane Urch has Houdans, but they're aren't frizzled, but of course you must remember that you need non-frizzled to breed with frizzled. [​IMG] So the thing you should actually be asking for are normal Houdan eggs, but, of course, good quality ones.

I'd LOVE to see a pic of the frizzled one though. Houdans are already rare enough, especially good ones.

5. chknmomma

chknmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    OHHH - does he have the "hat"??? I think the houdan frizzles are so cool looking! We can't have a rooster, but our local feed store is getting some in March. I was thinking about picking one up :) I am looking for a neat breed for a 4-H project.

Now, why do you need to breed a non-frizzle with a frizzle? Why not just 2 frizzles?

Good luck finding with your houdans!

6. doxies1

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    It's debatable but most claim if you breed frizzle to frizzle you can end up with naked birds. Others claim to have bred fr to fr and gotten fine birds. I'm sure it's like any other genetic puzzle. You can get away with it some but if you keep repeating it it bites you in the a**.
    I have 18 Houdan chicks coming the middle of the Feb. That shouldgive me hens to start trying for frizzle.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Breeding Frizzle x Frizzle gives a 25% chance of "frazzles," birds with feathers so brittle they often fall off and end up with a naked looking chicken.

Normal Frizzles though carry only one dominant gene, and it will pass on to 50% of the offspring from crossing to a non-frizzled. It's just how proper breeding should be done. [​IMG] Same with traits like tufts - Breeding tufted x tufted gives the same results as tufted x non-tufted, but the tuftedxtufted offspring have a 25% of dying. Both have a 50/50 chance of tufts or no tufts though. Same goes with frizzling, except instead of dying, they're born with a "deformity"

8. doxies1

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    Thank you for the insight to frizzle genetics. Where did the frizzle gene come from ? When frizzle shows up in a new breed doesn't that indicate that the frizzle individual is not one hundred percent pure? I assume the gene had to come from another source.
    I'm just curious since fowls do not seem to be as closely documented as dogs.

9. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by