Houdan has Full Hard crop, won't digest. Been like this since yesterday!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JFreeman, Sep 3, 2013.

1. JFreeman

JFreeman Chillin' With My Peeps

The crop is massive and swollen with food. Felt it, just feels full of food. She is lathargic, gasping, and holding head droopy and at an angle. What can I do?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could try tubing some fluids to her and massaging her crop to get things moving, but it's possible that she's dying and her organs have shut down and aren't digesting food, hence the full crop. If she were mine, I would tube fluids, but that requires having a tube.

-Kathy

3. JFreeman

I don't think I have a tube... Would it help to just drip fluids on her beak? She drinks okay as long as I do that, it seems.. I was rubbing her crop for about 10 minutes, and I washed her butt off. She pooped, and it was normal looking. Her crop seems a little flatter, but I don't know if that's just wishful thinking or what...

4. JFreeman

Also, what would be good fluids? Water and ACV?

5. JFreeman

Maybe a little lemon juice for the acidity? Thinking outside the box here...

6. abcr

abcr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2013
    How big is it

7. JFreeman

The chicken is probably about 4 lbs. The crop is maybe 1/4 golf ball?

8. JFreeman

Just checked again, I didn't want to exaggerate, but it is about golf ball size.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What breed of chicken?

-Kathy

10. JFreeman

Mottled Houdan. She's 9 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by