Houdan who won't fly

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PortlandChick, Apr 21, 2011.

1. PortlandChick

PortlandChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    I'm raising a houdan, cochin, wyandotte and ameraucana, all between the ages of 7-8 weeks. They are about to go outside to their coop in a week when our silkie and frizzle pullets arrive, but I'm concerned that my houdan Co Co has shown no hint of trying to fly. The other girls have been flying out of the brooder for a month, but Co Co barely flaps her wings. She sits in the brooder and cries until I get her out. She will hop back into the brooder, but only after much deliberation. I'm sure her growing head feathers are making it hard for her to see, but even before they began to block her vision she showed no interest in flying.

I'm worried about her being able to get onto and off the perch in her coop when they move outside. I don't want her freezing alone on the floor of the coop if the others girls are perching. Anyone else experienced this?

2. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    No i havent, but can she jump? Or is the perch too high up? if it is too high up you could make smaller perches leading up to the proper one...

3. PortlandChick

PortlandChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    She has jumped a couple times in an attempt to get out of the brooder when the other girls fly out, but has only gotten a couple inches of the ground. She typically just walks aimlessly around the brooder and cries until I pick her up.

I think we will have to put a ladder or some other way for her to reach the perch, but I just wonder what is behind her not flying. I've tried to leave her in there to cry to see if that motivates her, but after half an hour of her crying and making no attempt to fly, I had to take her out.

4. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    awwwwwwww.... yeah, I would probably use a ladder, because, like you said, you don't want her to freeze on the ground

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by