1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Houdans VS Crevecoeurs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Ideal Poultry asked me which breed of chicken hatching eggs I wanted (since they accidentally sent me banties instead of standards)...so now I've got my choice of all of their breeds (well, the ones that aren't sold out until 2009).

So I wanted something rare that I couldn't get my hands on unless I went with this situation. I wanted Sumatras, but they are sold out. They are also sold out of all bantams until 2009.

So I have come down to crevecoeurs or houdans....

Both are crested & rare...but which are better? By better, I mean cold hardy, personable, somewhat friendly. They don't have to be excellent layers, but somewhat decent.... at least well enough to sell some of their hatching eggs. [​IMG]

Thanks,

~Heather~

2. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    Grrrrrrrrr.... I was planning on buying silkie bantams them this year.

3. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    sorry thought you said mcmurray

4. Rare Feathers Farm

I think that IDEAL is only out of bantam eggs...not the birds.

As far as ordering chicks from them...I'm not sure? Oh...you meant McMurray? LOL

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have no idea I think crested chickens are so goofy looking. That is nice of them to give you a new order. I would get the hudans I heard crev's can be flighty.

Good Luck,
    Henry

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Yeah, they are funny...that's why I like them. I don't like anything that's "normal." LOL I have "off-breed" dogs, horses, poultry, reptiles! And my cats are weird, but has anyone met a "normal" cat? [​IMG]

7. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Quote:No [​IMG]
    By different breeds what do you mean? What breeds of horses do you have. I think you should get crevecouers. They are so cool (not as cool as my polish but still cool) and I think the houdans look wierd.

8. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Oooohhh, get Houdans! Get Houdans!!! Sorry to get carried away [​IMG] but we had a mottled Houdan hen who I was soooo infatuated with from the day I saw her; she was tame and so friendly. Unfortunately, she became ill with some strange thing and we spent a couple months trying to save her, quite a few dollars and hours of research; we were unable to save her and my heart was broken. I don't know much about Crevecoeurs, actually. But I researched Houdans when we got her and found that breed is generally very friendly, and tame. Moppit (our hen) had a funny voice too, different from all the others, she would hear us coming and I could hear her calling to greet us. If you get Houdans, please post pics! [​IMG]

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:No [​IMG]
    By different breeds what do you mean? What breeds of horses do you have. I think you should get crevecouers. They are so cool (not as cool as my polish but still cool) and I think the houdans look wierd.

I have Peruvians. I decided on the houdans--they're getting shipped out June 10th! So they're already ordered...I was leaning towards the crevecouers but then realized I was hearing more & more (on the internet) about their poor laying & aggressive roosters. I don't want either of those! LOL

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:I'm getting the Houdans. They are actually hatching eggs...so we'll see what I end up with out of 12 eggs...and yes, I'll post pics! [​IMG] They are getting shipped out on June 10th to me, so I'll probably get them the 12th or so....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by