Houdans

CDAT

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 3, 2009
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Mottled Houdans from Ideal poultry?

I am not keen on the idea of getting stock from any hatchery, but due to the hardship of getting birds from breeders across the Canadian boarder the hatcheries that have paper work for the boarder are really my only option at the moment and I am really keen to get working with this fascinating breed.

Anyone who has experience with the Houdans from Ideal I would love to hear about it, or any experience with Houdans at all or breeding up from hatchery stock... I have shown animals my whole life and while I am not getting the Houdans for the purpose of showing, like to have animals that meet the standard.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Charles

I got a batch of eggs to incubate with Houdan as one of the breeds. I am very fond of the one chick that hatched. They tend to be slower growing and have the "V" combs. My own tends to be easily handled with a good temperment. I have my cockerel who is 4 months old with my 1-2 month old chicks and he watches over the whole brood of them, keeping them together. Not a large breed but not tiny. I'd recommend them- they are pretty hardy.

I do not have experience with Ideal but I did get one houdan chick from TS so it is obviously from a hatchery. It isn't full grown yet but it is looking really good, as good, if not better than the ones I hatched from eggs. I really don't think hatchery stock is all that bad.
As for the houdan themselves, as stated above, they are not a large chicken but they are quite docile and the roos are good with the hens. They are more alert though than my Polish and don't seem to have as much trouble seeing. They lay nice white, medium sized eggs and lay daily, so far.
I think you will be really pleased with them, they are one of the nicest breeds I have.

Back
Top Bottom