houdini flying act.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mikensara, Jul 23, 2011.

1. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    Hub and I went grocery shopping last night. WE came home to a very upset and crying 8 year old who did not ask for help putting the chickens in the coop and locking it down and we had a houdini hen fly over her head and take off. 8 year old gave chase and so did the dog and the houdidni hen pulled a graceful hiding act. She was back this morning waiting to be let in the coop. 8 year old asked where she went and I told her she was at the all night bug buffett.
    Houdidni pulled the same act tonight. I just plucked her off the woodshed door and set her in the coop. She has figured out she can fly over people day or night she doesnt want to be in the coop she wants to be out free ranging.

2. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    For her own safety it's probably good to keep putting her back. Very annoying habit though. My new girls, the Buff Orpington and the RIR, are both SO flighty. I have a feeling I'll be facing a similar experience.

3. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I'd clip her wings. If you aren't showing her or anything I'd give those flights on one wing a little snip to put her off balance. And then watch in amusement when she tries this again. Eventually she will get out of the habit when she realizes she can't. I have all of my chickens wings clipped because my coop isn't covered. My darn white leghorn pullet discovered how to fly out and I was SO mad. After her wings were clipped she tried to fly out for about a day and hasn't since. Gave it up and hangs with the flock now like she should be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by