Houdini lost toe grateful for help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chick Quartet, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Chick Quartet

Chick Quartet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    Yorkshire uk
    8 hours ago

Chick Quartet

Hi I'm new to the group but have been reading the forum since the arrival of my little quartet in april 2013. My adventurous chick had an accident last Saturday and lost her middle toe and we had to take her to the vets. The toe was cleaned up and skin glue was applied. We kept her in the house overnight and the next day although limping joined her mates back in the coop all week she has been eating as usual but is now not putting her foot down at all. I have brought her in and given her feet a warm bath the toe looks fine a little swollen still but what worries me is the heat the foot feels very warm. She is now laid on my knee ( she has always come and sat on my knee) and purring seems content but I am worried about infection with the heat in the foot and her not putting the foot down at all her friends keep coming and sitting with her with on one leg too purring so cute. She is no 2 in the pecking order.

Please can someone let me know if we need antibiotics or if this is normal for a week old injury Thank you

2. Chick Quartet

Feb 2, 2014
    Yorkshire uk
    [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Do you have any antibiotic ointment you can put on it? Either poultry or human ointment? I would think that yes, if the foot is warm, it is possible that there is infection present. If you can take her back to the vet for anitibiotics, that would be a good idea. If you don't want to take her back in, if you can get some Cephlaxin or Doxycycline for her, these both will help with soft tissue infection. You can also soak the foot in a warm salt water bath or even an Epsom Salt bath. Both of these help with infection.

Good luck with your baby and enjoy BYC!

4. Chick Quartet

Feb 2, 2014
    Yorkshire uk
    Thank you I will try the salt bath and see about getting some cream.

5. Chick Quartet

Feb 2, 2014
    Yorkshire uk
    She loved the salt bath and was so chilled out she is now sleeping on my knee very contentent thank you x

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

Keep us updated on your chick [​IMG]

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am glad she is feeling a bit better. Keep doing this once a day for a week or so. If in a few days the foot is still warm, you might want to get her back into the vet for some antibiotics. And if you have any human creams or sprays you can put on the toe to help prevent infection, these might help as well. Keep us posted! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your girl, TwoCrows has given you some good advice about treating her.

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe the infection needs to drain and with the skin glue it can't do so. I would call and tell the vet, maybe he could call in a prescription to your pharmacy, so you wouldn't have to pay for another office visit.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by