Houdini lost toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick Quartet, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Chick Quartet

Chick Quartet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    Yorkshire uk
    Hi I'm new to the group but have been reading the forum since the arrival of my little quartet in april 2013. My adventurous chick had an accident last Saturday and lost her middle toe and we had to take her to the vets. The toe was cleaned up and skin glue was applied. We kept her in the house overnight and the next day although limping joined her mates back in the coop all week she has been eating as usual but is now not putting her foot down at all. I have brought her in and given her feet a warm bath the toe looks fine a little swollen still but what worries me is the heat the foot feels very warm. She is now laid on my knee ( she has always come and sat on my knee) and purring seems content but I am worried about infection with the heat in the foot and her not putting the foot down at all her friends keep coming and sitting with her with on one leg too purring so cute. She is no 2 in the pecking order.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Try some epsom salt warm soaks twice a day, then apply an antibiotic ointment, and try to get an antibiotic for her from the vet.

3. Chick Quartet

Chick Quartet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    Yorkshire uk
    Thanks she loved the salt bath and is now sleeping on my knee ... a very pampered chick ha ha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by