Houdini Raccoon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Viper44m, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Viper44m

Viper44m Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    I'm at my wits end. A raccoon has been harrassing my hens. We've baited a Have-a-Heart trap with marshmallows 6 nights in a row. Each time he takes the bait without setting the trap ( the trap has been used with success before). When tested, the trap sets very easily. Last night I strung marshmallows on tie wraps, attached them to the inside of the trap, thinking the extra time it took to get the bait off the tie wraps would give the raccoon more opportunity to trigger the trap. Nope, the tie wraps & trap were completely bare of candy this morning. Anyone ever have an experience with such a tricky raccoon and have a suggestion on how to catch him?

2. WallabyOfChaos

WallabyOfChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Texas Panhandle
    My Coop
    You might try a partially opened can of tuna or cat food in the very back of the trap. Just open it about half way around and bend the edge of the lid up slightly so he really has to work for it to get the goodies out. Maybe while he is fiddling around with the can he will trip the trap. We always have good luck baiting our traps that way.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  3. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Rub peanut butter on the trigger! I have caught so many raccoons using this :)

4. Viper44m

May 23, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions, I just may put a can of tuna in the back of the trap and then paint the metal plate with peanut butter. Surely!! That should catch him! I'll post tomorrow what happens tonight!

5. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Good luck, I hope you get him!

6. Viper44m

May 23, 2009
    Wahoo!!! Yesterday the trap was set with everything suggested. The plate was painted with peanut butter, a partially opened can of tuna was set in the back of the trap, a chicken leg (from grocery store) was tie wrapped to the back of the trap and just to top off the "raccoon smorgasbord" I threw in some marshmallows for dessert. ...and Voila!!!! We have a trapped raccoon this morning. He ate EVERYTHING in the trap, so his belly was quite full. :eek:) Thank you for all your tips.

7. txnative

txnative Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    Kempner, Texas
    Congratulations!

8. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Good job!

9. Viper44m

May 23, 2009
    Thank. It does feel good to know he won't be eating my hens!

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    At least he died with a full tummy. He did die, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by