House across the street being boarded up... AGAIN

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
The house across the street from me is owned by an absentee landlord in Texas. Last summer he came and spent a month cleaning it up: paint, carpet, plumbing, electrical... the whole 9 yards! It was in desperate need, too. The neighborhood kids had broken out half the windows on the house.

When the owner was here I tried to talk him into getting renters so that there wasn't an empty house on my block. It has attracted lowlifes like flies to poop: for a while a homeless couple was living there unbeknownst to the owner. They stole the cast iron bathtub (!!) and some of the plumbing. Awful... awful... awful.

Well, today we saw a police car and some workers drive up - code enforcement. ?? Turns out the back windows of the house have been broekn out - again - and the city was there to board up the broken windows.

I *hate* living across the street from a house that's boarded up! It attracts all kinds of bad stuff. <sigh>

It's even worse when the owners rent to trash.

There is a gorgeous house down the street from us. The last two owners put TONS of work into it. Then tried to sell it. Nothing for two years. They finally gave up and rented it.
The new renters dont bother shoveling the drive. They park in the street.They have trash bags that have been torn open by their dog all over the front yard. Cant wait for summer. I can only imagine what the inside of the house likes now. And its only been two months.

We have a 3 family house across the street. The people that were in it when we moved in were AWESOME. House was always taken care of. Yard was pristine. Then they all bought houses a few towns over. Sold the house to a guy that said "Hey when we rent this heres my tele number. Call me if there are any issues"

Then he couldnt rent it for enough to make the mortgage payments. Paid over 300k just after the market began to tank. So his son moved in. And then his friends moved in. Next thing we know there is broken furniture all over the yard. Dead cars in the driveway. Loud parties all night. Dogs that barked all day. Scary people in and out.
I called the cops the neighbors called the cops. One day they started piling all their crap into the little pick up truck they had and left.

New owners(although they have dogs that bark 24/7) have cleaned the place up. Took them FOUR dumpsters.
cool.png

Now I am nervous about the rest of the street. My next door neighbor is elderly. The guy across the street really shouldnt be living alone. And I am sure his family will realize that soon. And then there is the lady two doors down that needs to be in a psych ward. You can smell her dogs poop NOW and it isnt warm yet.

Rhett&SarahsMom :

It's even worse when the owners rent to trash.

There is a gorgeous house down the street from us. The last two owners put TONS of work into it. Then tried to sell it. Nothing for two years. They finally gave up and rented it.
The new renters dont bother shoveling the drive. They park in the street.They have trash bags that have been torn open by their dog all over the front yard. Cant wait for summer. I can only imagine what the inside of the house likes now. And its only been two months.

We have a 3 family house across the street. The people that were in it when we moved in were AWESOME. House was always taken care of. Yard was pristine. Then they all bought houses a few towns over. Sold the house to a guy that said "Hey when we rent this heres my tele number. Call me if there are any issues"

Then he couldnt rent it for enough to make the mortgage payments. Paid over 300k just after the market began to tank. So his son moved in. And then his friends moved in. Next thing we know there is broken furniture all over the yard. Dead cars in the driveway. Loud parties all night. Dogs that barked all day. Scary people in and out.
I called the cops the neighbors called the cops. One day they started piling all their crap into the little pick up truck they had and left.

New owners(although they have dogs that bark 24/7) have cleaned the place up. Took them FOUR dumpsters.
cool.png

Now I am nervous about the rest of the street. My next door neighbor is elderly. The guy across the street really shouldnt be living alone. And I am sure his family will realize that soon. And then there is the lady two doors down that needs to be in a psych ward. You can smell her dogs poop NOW and it isnt warm yet.

sickbyc.gif
NOT GOOD!​

I feel with you . We live across from abondened house that is in disrepair. Last year me and my DD sat outside on a warm saturday at 1pm and watched a guy being arrested for beaking into the houe to steal the window AC.Its prolly still on the floor in the house and the rts have a nice hole to climb in and out. In Youngstown are 26.000 empty and abondened houses.

In 1980 I paid $45,000 for my house. A couple of years ago it was appraised for tax purposes at $195,000. Now half of the neighborhood is in repossession. The house next door is for sale at $39,500. Where does that leave me?

With half the houses in the neighborhood vacant, we now have homeless people squatting in some of them.

Where are we going in this economy?

Rufus

Quote:
In 2000 we paid 89K for our 3 bedroom house.
There is no way we could even get THAT now.

The owner of house on the other side of the block that had been empty for YEARS gave up on it and got tired of having the police call them all the time about problems with the property. So they had it torn down. Now there is an empty lot. Not attractive. But hey. No squatters or drug dealers in there.
The college(another next door neighbor that if I had KNOWN how bad it would be I wouldnt have bought this house) Has been buying up houses and tearing them down. Making either more parking(that the students dont use) and more housing. Some day I am sure they will come a knocking here as well.

Every time my neighbor(that lives directly next to the nut job with the dog poop piling up she mentions how she is not going to be able to sell her house because of the lady next door. Then quickly adds, when the look of horror crosses my face, that they arent planning on going anywhere and she loves her house. But hey. Ya never know right?

Last year I gave up. I figured. "Hey. I am going to be stuck here for a while. Might as well plant flowers and such"

And such ended up being "build a coop and run and get chickens"
I have to admit I am also planning on the privacy fence so the coop and run doesnt throw off any potential buyers in the area. Cause goodness knows there are A LOT of houses in the neighborhood(street directly behind ours) that are foreclosed or have been sitting a really long time. Good thing for nosey neighbors though. NOTHING goes un noticed here.

Last edited:
And for all these reasons...is why we moved to the country. No neighbors....no squaters...( they get shot at out here, NOT by me!!) LOL As soon as the property around us goes on the block, we will TRY to buy it up as well. I sure dont want more homes coming in all around me.

There are a lot of homes near us that are empty with foreclosure paperwork on the windows. The house we are in was a squatter's house for almost 2 years before we agreed to rent it - and the landlord has been happy to let us be here with no deposit and left the rent the same for 2 years now. It's worth it for them because they are upside down in this place and could not sell it for even half what they owe. We are good renters.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom