house cats attacking grown hens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by libertyfarmhens, Aug 2, 2010.

1. libertyfarmhens

libertyfarmhens New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    Maine
    we just got day old chicks 5 weeks ago, we only have one chick left. our cat ate the others. we then purchased four 5 month old barred rock hens and my husband found our cat in the pen this morning... what to do????????????[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Usually cats won't bother full grown chickens, chicks on the other hand are cat snack size.
    You will need to protect the chickens from the cat until they are older, bigger and meaner, then you might need to protect the cat from the chickens.

Imp

ETA- Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yup.. ya gotta secure the chicks better..until they get big enough to give the cat a good old peck!
    And Also, Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Introduce the cat to your biggest toughest roo...

5. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    SO true. My cat sits on our fully enclosed run looking lustfully.... [​IMG] But he jumped into our coop of our full grown chickens one day I was cleaning it, and it was him I had to save. All 7 of them ran at him like I gave them a treat. Poor cat didn't know what to do. Wait until their bigger, he'll learn the hard way or be smart enough to just stay away. All the cats in my area slink and sneak past any of my chickens free ranging LOL, they want nothing to do with them.

6. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Quote:My cats don't bother with my birds either. They used to, but now that they're a little bigger, they don't want anything to do with them...and the oldest are only ten weeks. However, my dog and rooster have started playing...my dog barks at him and my little roo starts to chase her. It's adorable![​IMG]

7. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Sorry to hear your cat got the babies. I know that my cats were a little more than curious about the chickens, when I first got them.
    They chased my poor rooster all over the place, trying to leap on him, at first. lol
    They are all very used to the chickens now, and I have no problems. The chickens even eat out of the cat feeder with the cats, no problem. lol
    It will just take time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by