House Chicken Advice Please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tiki244, Jun 29, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    From my situation right now it looks like I may have some house chickens staying inside much more than they did before. Could people with house chickens please post and let me know how it is done? What type of bedding, room cage space requirements, how often exercise, links to diaper making. (thediapers I made fall off the chickens) Pictures would be lovely. Anything would help me. I am in a tough situation and am trying to figure out what to do. I personally am having a hard time with the cleaning of the cages and keeping the smell down. They have just been all in for a day or two and it is a bit overwhelming .

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* well, mine spends the night in the tub, and goes out after breakfast inside and comes in after dinner outside, but, I only have 1. How many are you talking??

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  3. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have two house chickens, but in order to everyone to best help you...
    how many are going to be in the house
    standard or bantam
    roos or hens
    what are your housing options
  4. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

www.chickendiapers.com

I don't have any house chickens, but I have seen this website. There may be others, yhough.

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Mixing DE (food grade ONLY) in with the bedding will help some with the smell. I have noticed some of my chickens are stinkier than others [​IMG]

I agree... we need more info! I had two of my bantams (they're at the coop now) in a LARGE rabbit cage and had they stayed I would have upgraded to a X-Large dog kennel and built walls around the bottom inside to keep them from knocking all of the shavings out while scratching. Rabbit food holders that hang on the side cut down on mess and waste.

I didn't use diapers.... I would confine them to the kitchen and open the door so the sunlight could shine in. Then before DH got home I would put them back in their cage and sweep up the reg. poos and use a santi-wipe to clean the messy poos up [​IMG]

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I have had housechickens and I still have one...
    She's 5 years old...
    I have never had good luck getting her diaper on her...darned Leghorn.

I do what Guitartist does...I use pet stain remover on the splort and use the dustpan and brush on the ploop.
    of course, you may have to fight for every bit of food you can...

check out the Yahoogroups, Housechickens site too.

Except for Miss MoneyPenny, I've only had Standard birds.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    II have bantam cochins 6 of them and I have 2 japanese and 2 Serama and 3 leghorn bantams and a bunch of babies which i will probably get rid of. I dont knnow, I think I am keeping the cochins and the Seramas and maybe 2 more.

Its hard to decide. I have 4 dog cages now for large dogs (labradors not great danes) and am using pine shavings which are a mess. I lat them out in the kitchen a little while but they were running all over the place so i put them away.

I have some 2 month silkies but do they stink more than other chickens? I had wanted one for a broody for Seramas. They seem knda stinky. I am getting rid of some next week.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Yeah thee bedding comes over the edges and gets all over the whole room. I put a bunch of cardboard and lined the room with the cardboard on the floor. I have had to wash the walls too. That was when I had some roos in earlier. I got rid of most of the roos but yes I have roos.

9. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    my pet chicken also has diaper links. good luck.

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    GO to YouTube. Look up chicken, diaper etc. You can see a tutorial on how to make a chicken diaper there. Its interesting in its own right, but as I watched it I could only wonder:
    "Is this how far we have come? Chickens in diapers, sitting at table and sleeping in our beds? Oh, the mighty have fallen...."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by