1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

House Chicken wants Babies

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dodgegal79, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    House chicken came in the house tonight and was really weird. She was on my fathers bed and on his clothes, looking in the kitchen and on the furniture in the house, complaining the whole time. We gave her food and water, and cleaned to perch and she still was not happy. I seen her scratching at her perch area on the paper, and figured maybe she wanted a nest. i made her a box with a door and put a nice pice of cloth in it. I showed her and she went in and started scratching, so thats what she wanted. She was in there for about 1/2 hour and she layed an egg. So House Chicken will hopefully be a mommy. Her box is on my Dad's piano.
    [​IMG]
    This is her on one of her favorite sleep spots, the CD player. I'll post pics of her in her nest in a bit.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    She was just looking somewhere to lay you a present.

If she hasn't been with a rooster, she won't be a mommy.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Awww - she's so pretty. And smart! A good thing she didn't put that present in a BOOT or someplace weird!

4. Dodgegal79

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Oh she's going to be a mommy, she always comes in with the roosters muddy footprints on her back. She likes it when I wipe her off, dirty girl. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    She's so cute! It must be fun having a house chickens. I like to bring mine in for visits sometimes.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, unless she becomes broody, she might not have babies. You'll know the time has come when she starts to look like a turkey when you approach her! [​IMG]

8. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    oh yea silkie, and don't forget that growl!

9. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    [​IMG] Here I thought I was the only weirdo that liked having her chickens in the house!!

10. Dodgegal79

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Lol, I was showing her my newly hatched quail babies the other day and she was looking at them funny, that may have given her the idea she wanted kids. I didn't let her get to close to them, I was afraid she might peck them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by