House Chicken with Head Cold

The Chickens' Maid

Crowing
14 Years
May 2, 2009
CT
Our Serama rooster house chicken has what appears to be a head cold. He got it about two days ago. There is no nasal discharge, but he seems stuffed up, like he has a cold. His lungs sound clear, and he is not wheezing. He sneezes a lot, but stops when we hold him. He is not lethargic, just a little tired, but I think that's because he can't sleep as well for sneezing. He is bright-eyed and alert (and cranky - he pecked my hand). We are giving him antibiotic right now, and keeping a heater under him (it just snowed in our part of Connecticut). I've read that chickens don't get colds like people, but I can't think of what else this could be. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Our Serama rooster house chicken has what appears to be a head cold. He got it about two days ago. There is no nasal discharge, but he seems stuffed up, like he has a cold. His lungs sound clear, and he is not wheezing. He sneezes a lot, but stops when we hold him. He is not lethargic, just a little tired, but I think that's because he can't sleep as well for sneezing. He is bright-eyed and alert (and cranky - he pecked my hand). We are giving him antibiotic right now, and keeping a heater under him (it just snowed in our part of Connecticut). I've read that chickens don't get colds like people, but I can't think of what else this could be. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Is it possible he snorted feed dust or a particle of feed in his nostril or some other debris to cause the sneezing?

Since he's in the house I would watch for any cleaners, perfumes dust from a dryer or anything to make him sneeze.

Back
Top Bottom