House Chicken?

Pics
I was going to make a thread on this!!!

This spring I am going to get some silkie (and other Bantam) chicks. I want to raise them from chicks because they are adorable, and I have much more hope for them being friendlier and easier to handle.

And maybe....Just maybe...I can make one or two into house chickens...

I've heard some mixed opinions... a lot of people say it's cruel....

I have a small flock of bantam chickens outside....is there some way that my chicken could live partially with them, or if she was bullied in another spare little coop to get some fresh grass, some sunshine, and a dust bath? I could supervise the chicken a good chunk of the day, she could roam around my house with a diaper I could make or buy, but if school re-opened I'd be out from around 9 am-4 pm....

Can a house chicken live partially outside, or with a flock? Can they live by themselves or do they need a buddy? I would have time to diaper, clean and bathe the chicken, to care for it and cuddle it, and to make sure it got some fresh air and fresh grass, but does that sound suitable?

I have a very small room.....I don't want to diaper the chicken overnight... she needs some time to air out, be comfier and maybe lay her egg every couple days...there is no way a chicken is walking around my room undiapered...my mother would lay an egg...so maybe I could have a smallish cage with some bedding, food, water, and a little perch just overnight???
I'd love hear/read more about your approach with your pending new chicks!

Thanks! I would love to update.

The chicks are 3-5 weeks old now I think. I try to cuddle them lots. I think it is going ok. They aren't incredibly food motivated at this age, so it makes that harder.

I understand. That might take time. The fact that they are doing good and keeping friendly is great to hear! Keep at it and share pics when ya can!

It's pretty hard to find info on how to raise a house chicken.....I mean, if I just do everything with them and cuddle them every day they should be friendly, right? I can't really encourage them with food yet, since they are so little.

I feed chicks scrambled egg their very first day. It is never too early for scrambled egg! Just do not use non-stick pans with chicks in the house.

For the shy chick try cupping her against your chest with one of the others in the same hand. Let her feel snug and protected the way she would under a mother hen. They often feel more secure if they have a sibling next to them.

Also when they are big enough to go into their outdoor run don't try to chase them and pick them up during the day, bring treats to them once or twice a day and then hold/cuddle them at dusk/bedtime when they are settling in for the night. I had my chicks flying onto my arm for a dish of bedtime oatmeal.

Last edited:
Here is a couple pics, I think it' going well, although stegalls is still extremely sassy.
Lavender and Buff silkie chick 3 weeks..jpg
Baby patdridge silkie chick 1 week.jpg
Patdridge silkie chick 3 weeks.jpg
Splash silkie chick 3 weeks.jpg

Are those recent pics? Those birds are much younger than three to five weeks old. More like a week or two I would guess. I work really hard to raise very friendly birds and make sure to hold all mine everyday. During the first week we do a nap time everyday wrapped in an old t shirt on my lap with a hand in with them, then they get too old for that. After that I hold each one for a few minutes a day. Once they want to get up on things any time they hop on my hand counts as holding for me. There are always some that just don't want to be picked up. I also always hand feed a little when I refill the feeder. That way they learn my call and want to see me and get used to my hands. I have had really good luck with most of my birds and I always seem to get the anti social ones of the "sweetest breeds" All my birds come when I call and eat out of my hands and many either don't mind being picked up or will fly to my shoulders or lap.

Here is a couple pics, I think it' going well, although stegalls is still extremely sassy.
View attachment 2289261View attachment 2289262View attachment 2289266View attachment 2289270
Are those recent pics? Those birds are much younger than three to five weeks old. More like a week or two I would guess. I work really hard to raise very friendly birds and make sure to hold all mine everyday. During the first week we do a nap time everyday wrapped in an old t shirt on my lap with a hand in with them, then they get too old for that. After that I hold each one for a few minutes a day. Once they want to get up on things any time they hop on my hand counts as holding for me. There are always some that just don't want to be picked up. I also always hand feed a little when I refill the feeder. That way they learn my call and want to see me and get used to my hands. I have had really good luck with most of my birds and I always seem to get the anti social ones of the "sweetest breeds" All my birds come when I call and eat out of my hands and many either don't mind being picked up or will fly to my shoulders or lap.

A couple are from when they were only a weeks old, bc my iPad is currently not working!

Back
Top Bottom