House chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lennie, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Lennie

Lennie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    Since my 1st EE (I have two) - she is definitely the smartest of my small flock of four chickens - has been molting for almost 3 months now, she's become even smarter. Whenever she hears or sees me coming out of the back door, she literally comes flying towards me and then follows me around on my heels. When I go back inside she tries to get through the door with me. I have to be really quick and close the door in front of her nose. At other times, she jumps up on the backrest of a bench that stands in front of the kitchen window and just sits there and watches me through the window. It appears as if she'd rather be inside with me than outside with the other chickens. What's up with that???

Anybody else has a chicken that wants to be a house chicken?

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
  3. Lennie

Lennie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    Carpet cleaning would be one thing (although my house is mostly tile), but imagine having that chicken hopping around in your bed! [​IMG]

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I have a Buff Orpington pullet who got carried off by neighbor dogs a couple of weeks ago. She was returned and recovered from her injuries. But after spending several days inside with us, she follows us everywhere and sneaks in behind us at least once a day. She's a adorable, but i'm afraid i'm going to accidentally smash her in the door one of these days.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

6. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    What???

Do you put diapers on them?

This is just too funny. I can't imagine having a "house chicken" although I have heard of it.

I guess if it makes you and the chicken happy....and your carpets will
    survive, do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by