1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

house chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickaboo7, Jun 29, 2007.

1. chickaboo7

chickaboo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    Has anyone had a house chicken? We have a bantam chick who is to friendly. She sits on our laps to watch TV, snuggles with the kids & sleeps with them at night. It's amazing that she doesn't poop the bed. She waits till we take her to the potty, newspaper on the floor. Any one had this before?Any suggestions?

2. SeattleAeris

SeattleAeris Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2007
    I would love to do that with my chicken! How did you train her to not go to the bathroom in the house?

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    There are several folks on here that have house chickens. Some even use diapers. I'm sure you'll be hearing stories. [​IMG]

4. chickaboo7

chickaboo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    We didn't train her she just did it. Who said chickens are dunb.

5. Grammi

Grammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Rogers City, Michigan
    I have a house chicken, she does wear a diaper. But she was older when I got her. The reason she is in the house is she was very sick for quite a while, I have kept her in the house since then. I absolutely love her. Even my husband (who makes fun of me) comes in and asks where she is if he doesn't see her. They become a part of the family. Count your blessings with the potty training. I just might have to try that with a little one. Enjoy. Welcome to the chickenholic site!![​IMG]

6. yearofthedog

yearofthedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    Quote:That is SO cool!!! I was just at the feed store and contemplated a couple of banties...

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Slifer and Obelisk were/are house chickens, mostly because Slifer crowed. She'd managed to lay a huge stinky splort under DH's chair most days. So I guess she'd be considered potty trained.[​IMG]
    Penny's a house chicken too, but both she and Obelisk free range when I'm home.

9. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i might have one on my hands lol.

10. bluebird144

bluebird144 New Egg

Jul 10, 2007
    I tried to have a house chicken. I had an old english hen chick that was doing poorly one cold April, so we kept her indoors. She eventually became "adopted" by one of my cockatiels. They shared the same cage for awhile once the hen was full grown (and she was still smaller than the tiel!)

But the house did smell a bit too much like a hen house when I came home from work. Even though the cage was cleaned daily, chicken poop has a distinct odor and I noticed it when I walked in the door. (It may just be my sensitive nose.) So she went back out to the flock where she lives a happy normal chicken life. But she sure was cute pretending she was a cockatiel. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by