House Chickens site

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by 6chickens in St. Charles, Nov 3, 2011.

1. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
  2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Thats really cool. Though my parents wouldn't want a chicken walking around the house. LOL I would. [​IMG]

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is a yahoo housechickens group; I've been a memeber for YEARS; great group of folks; the archives from the beginning make super interesting reading.

4. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    There was a short part of a year where our silkie hen was not well, and she stayed with us in the house until she reintegrated with our little flock, and I began to design a "house chicken" abode for her, finding website photos of "kitchen chicken" cabinets from mexico which were antiques. Apparrently it is not a new concept by a few hundred years. But I never needed one after all.

(Today our silkie hen is high up in the flock pecking order, and her "fall foliage" is so rich she resembles a Llama! She has raised two broods of chicks since then, and attacked a hawk to protect her chicks, she is mighty indeed.)

5. Henny peeny

Henny peeny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    NC
    Yeah I tried to have my husband let me have a house chicken but he said "not no but H*** NO chickens are not pets they are food and it does not belong in with us". I beg to differ but he will not allow it. We also have children (not mine) one is 4 and the other is 9 the one 9 would leave it alone but the 4 would chase it SO....... I reckon maybe it is best. Anyone house train one if so I would like to know how maybe this would give me more to argue with if I could prove they are house trainable.

I had one Chookster he was a cornish rock he got a limp and the last day he was with us I had him in the house and let him walk around being he was to be at the end of his life he was 5 months old I wanted him not to be in anything and have some freedom to roam where ever he liked. As the time came close for the deed to be done I let him walk in the grass and peck at it this was the only time he was able to he was in a large pen with all the other before this and never felt grass just dirt under his feet. He was real friendly and like to be cuddled but he was not getting better and if he could it would only happena gain.

This is the closes I got to having a house chicken I didn't mind cleaning up after him but I would of minded if I had a chicken I had to clean up after all the time I have a friend that has two dogs that a 7 and 9 and niether have been house trained she has cleaned up after them for all them years they have saoked with pee the one room she has had them, luckly she lives in a trailer and she has no one else living with her. but to not have a dog house trianed I couldn't take this and the chicken I don't know I saw the diapers but I think they would get sore Don't know anyone have this on their chikens??

Rhayden

6. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:No, but my DH has questioned "Why are dogs and cats acceptable pets? Their poo stinks, in fact it's hazardous waste, they bite people, they give us diseases and worms". 'Tis true, alas. One of those things that makes me go hmmmm...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by