House Chickens

hooligan

Songster
12 Years
Aug 20, 2007
Arkansas
I was wondering how many of you here have or had chickens that lived their lives out in you home.
We have 12 chickens in our backyard flock and one (our very first chicken) prefers the company of humans to her chicken bretheren. She will be 2 in April and she was born with only one eye and a crooked beak, which makes eating slow for her.
Last night I got the urge to go get her from the hen house and even thought they were bedded down for the evening she came running as soon as I said her name.
I brought her inside and she ate a bit of muffin and drank some water before exploring the living room and settling down to sleep on the couch.
No pooping at all til this morning.
We are thinking of keeping her inside as a house pet, as long as we can get her potty trained to use paper or something.
Any suggestions?
Oh and she has her own MySpace too, www.myspace.com/carmillachicken

mypetchicken.com sells chicken diapers, probably some folks oon here too that have etsy.com sites and make some money sewing. We have a dog and cat inside so the house chicken idea would never work here but lots of folks do it, I think it's sweet, go for it!

Chicken diapers??? I would think that'd get messy. I will check it out. I love the little Egloo things they have but thats kind of bulky for the house, if my house was larger and they weren't so costly I'd do it though!
We have 7 dogs (4 American Pit Bull Terriers, 1 American Bulldog, 1 English Bulldog and a mini Dachshund) and they are all house dogs, plus we have our cat and our 2 house rabbits. Quite a house full and the only dog we have to worry about with the rabbits and the chickens is our Dachshund!

I don't keep them in my house. I have dogs that would eat them I think if so, however, my son, a senior in HS has a teacher he said that keeps her chickens in the house and have been in bed w/ her. I guess she's a real chicken nut ! Hmm, the more I think.....I wonder if she's on this site. I would have to ask my son for her name but she would be a teacher at a Private school in Rochester.
Sound familiar anyone?

I have a house chicken. She comes in at night and goes out during the day. She had a breast blister and couldn't get up to where the rest roost on the porch so my dad started to bring her in. She hates the quail I keep in the house, doesn't mind the cats unless they look at her, then she sqwakes. She craps wherever but its not bad to clean up. She a small old english game. She jumped up on my dads bed yesterday morning trying to wake him up, sitting infornt of his face looking at him sleeping.

So does she just roam around the house?

We never figured out what Carmilla is...I'll pot up some pix when I get home and see if anyone knows. She is standard though.

I have a house chicken her names smoky. She broke her leg a while back and it did'nt heal right. She was my first chicken I hatched and owned. She even left her first babys to come looking for me. She can't walk anymore. I have a small basket she sleeps in at night and she starts talking in the morining to get out. Her brother that died last winter was called Bandit. But she has a friend that stays with her in the house now. A quail that has one eye. He is very tame. He likes to be handled alot. So thats my house chicken
hugs.gif

hi there!
i have a handicapped roo who i'm building an indoor area for.
he will be in the same room as the "housebunnies" who have a large area all to themselves with litterboxes and dogloos and such.
i plan on having him in his "room" for part of the day and then sending the cats to the otherside of the house for a few hours a day so that he can put on his chicken diaper and strut around the living room at his leisure. (well, strut might be the wrong word, he's only got one good leg. hmmmmm.)
big_smile.png

f. weeble

Quite a house full and the only dog we have to worry about with the rabbits and the chickens is our Dachshund!

My Dachshund loves to go in the chicken coop with me until they peck at her!! lol, here's my doggie diva --
100_8368.jpg

Pidgey, that is the sweetest story about the chciken and the quail!!!! Darlene​

Back
Top Bottom