House Chickens!

Barredacauna

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Greenwood
okay, so i have a roo and a hen that are only about 2 weeks old and i want to keep them inside(we live in a neighborhood). is there anybody out there that can point me in the direction of some chicken shoes and chicken diapers:) thanks for all the help!!!
wee.gif

Chickens can be trained to go in one spot in the house if you want to make them a pet (you just have to be willing to work with them)
You can also order diapers off many site, but if you cant to save money, then here is a pattern to make one.
once made you want to put some sort of a removable liner in it so the moisture from the poop does not leak out.
92090_cd1.jpg

92090_cd2.jpg

92090_cd3.jpg

92090_cd4.jpg

Just measure from the neck to the vent for length...and under wing to under wing for width.

Best Wishes,
Laura

I did a google search last night and it brought up a ton of stuff. Try that. Mypetchicken and Meyers Hathery, and McMurray all have them. Good nluck and b sure to post pics!!

Hi! I am really interested in making my 10 year old australorp a house chicken because all of her flock mates have passed away and I am not in a position to get more chickens. It is interesting that I could teach her to use one spot for elimination. Can you give me any other information? What would she like to use for a roost or sleeping spot? My husband is worried about her spreading viruses to my cats who are pretty much house cats. Any comments on house chickens would be appreciated. Thanks, OLD POLLY

I posted about this on another thread, but now I saw your question. We have an indoor/outdoor bantam rooster. He's an illegal in our community, but in our defense we didn't seek out to have a pet chicken. He was found wandering in a park, and we suspect that he was left to fend for himself. He's very sweet.

He is in a large crate in the attached garage while we're at work. When we're home we let him free range for a bit. The neighbors within the immediate vicinity know he's here, and don't mind his crowing (or when he tries to hop in their cars with them.) Then he dons his diaper (we nicnamed them his lederhosen) made by CrazyKFarm. He comes in the house, snuggles on numerous laps, sits on the back of the couch overlooking a picture window, goes for car rides picking up and dropping kids off at activities, and enjoys harassing the dog. He even gets to clean off a plate after dinner (healthy food only). He comes when called and always follows his "flock" from room to room.

I don't know if its an ideal life for a chicken, but I don't really think life in a cage is ideal for any animal. He's well cared for, fed a varied diet which includes chicken feed, well socialized and mentally stimulated. He's in beautiful feather, so that should account for something. From what I've read there's an abundance of roosters with many communities only allowing hens. His life with us is pretty good!

I don't know the people from CrazyKFarm and I don't benefit at all from promoting their product. I tried making a chicken diaper myself. Mine was a failure. The one from CrazyK works and is pleasing to the eye. The chicken doesn't seem to mind it, either.

Thanks for this post! I have been keeping my hen Matilda in when I can. She seems to be pretty good about not pooping, and since I have tile floors I go around with a spray bottle and paper towels and clean up after her. She seems to be adjusting some to being without her flock mate and will stay near the cats or anyone sho is outside. I try to stay out with her for an hour or so a day at least and talk with here, if I am able to find the time. It sounds like your rooster is happy and healthy, which is just wonderful. Since so many chickens suffer so much in this life, I am always happy to hear of one who is loved and treated well!

Thanks for the affirmation. He is loved and well cared for. He was named Chuck McCluck by my husband. He doesn't come to his name, but he does verbally respond (if he doesn't run over to us) when we call "Chicken!" Good luck with Matilda.

Back
Top Bottom