House chickens?

gypsymoonfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
One week ago I lost my flock. I've had them for a year and a half. They free ranged all day, but last Monday we were busy late and I forgot to lock their doors. They were all gone in the morning. In that flock was my beloved granny chicken. She was a lavender d'uccle that I got at a swap meet. She was old and sick when I got her. I treated her with many medications and got her beautiful. After a year of my care and love she looked like a show bird. I am so sad that I lost my little friend.

A couple hours ago I ordered 12+ d'uccle hatching eggs. I want another granny chicken but I don't know how she became the way she was. She slept on my lap. She would lay on her side and beep. She sat on my shoulder. She ran to me to be held.
hit.gif
She just liked people.

Do any of you have house chickens? I want another one just like her.

I'm so very sorry for your loss! It is so amazing how special chickens can be and how they can touch our hearts. I used to hate sparrows, until I had to take care of a baby one that my grandson found after a storm. That little thing became so precious to me. It snuggled into my neck, followed me around and smelled like cotton candy! I ran inside to get something when I was letting be outside for a little bit, came back out, and it was gone. I'm sure one of the neighbor's feral cats got it. I cried and cried for days! I, too, have forgot to close my chickens up one night and freaked out when I realized it! It can happen to anyone. I hope time and wonderful memories help reduce the pain you are experiencing!

I do have one D'uccle Mille Fleur hen. She is 2 years old and was raised by my kids. It is our dream to see her with other chickens, especially other D'uccles.
We are in Michigan, and I would not dare ship her. Hope you are close to us!

She really was special. A book saleswoman saw her and after spending time talking to me, told me I needed to take her to Hollywood.

The hatching eggs will be a mix of lavenders and splashes. I'm hoping to get a lavender hen hatched. If not I'll work with whatever hatches.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, it's the most awful thing to lose a special little friend.
hugs.gif

I have a Pekin called Betty, she spends most of her time indoors as she is a bit under the weather at the moment. She loves nothing better than to hop on your lap for a cuddle and she caused much amusement on Sunday when we both fell asleep on the sofa after lunch. She makes lovely clucky sounds when she sees me and like a good chat while she gives me a quick preen.

I do hope you find another special girl soon xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back
Top Bottom