House chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by my5hens, Feb 24, 2012.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    I've heard of hens living inside a people house, like a dog or cat would. How do you go about this? I would think that the chicken would poop everywhere?

I do wish I could let my Corabell in the house, she seems to be the friendliest and even lets me pet her. I'd like a TV buddy.

2. zeezo

zeezo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    that's for sure, chicken are very friendly, adjust in house they even follow you and recognize your touch and call etc, but you can't poop train them , they will create lots of mess. But you can always take her inside for a visit ,

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Yes I have a friend of keep a silky bantam as a house pet. You can not poop train them at all though. If you have tiles or a wooden floor in your house its quite easy to clean up, but no on carpet!

I know some people use a special chicken diaper or make their own. But I would not want to be changing the thing all day, and also I think its cruel for the bird - its must be uncomfortable and messy for them.

1 person likes this.
  4. FarmGirlLC

FarmGirlLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    West Virginia
  5. Queenmamaof3

Queenmamaof3 New Egg

Nov 2, 2012
    Yes. Chickens make pleasant house pets. There, I said it! Our bantam rooster found his way into our lives after he was wandering in a large park. No owner claimed him, and we suspect he was probably left there to fend for himself. He is super sweet, loves to be pet, cuddled, and well harass the family dog. He wears his diaper from CrazyK like a champ (he's a little guy, so it took him some practice.) He is quite a rockstar with my kids and their friends. He doesn't have a flock to tend, so I hope we're enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by