House Chicks-Preparing for the new crew

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hooligan, Mar 24, 2008.

1. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    So as several of you know, GritsAr and I are sharing a chick order from Ideal. I will be getting a Black Jersey Giant and a Silver Laced Cochin-both pullets. I am preparing all of their needs before their arrival and what to see what you guys think OR if I need to add or switch anything.

I have bought this crate: http://www.petco.com/product/13907/Midwest-Lifestages-Double-Door-Fold-and-Carry-Crates.aspx
    its 42"L X 28"W X 31"H and this will be their sleeping place and a safe place to hang out if we aren't at home. Do you think this would be suitable for the two of these birds when adult? Or should I go for something like this: http://homeandkennel.petedge.com/ProSelect-Standard-Foldable-Cat-Cages-ZW334.pro?parentCategoryId=194&categoryId=310&subCategoryId=502

I
    have also bought bird mirrors and bells for them to play with and the following treats for when they get older: millet sprays, freeze dried calamari/anchovies/shrimp. Picked up a few dowel rods for roosts as well.

I have also picked up two pet carrier bags so that I can take them shopping with me.

Tomorrow I am picking up Purina Start and Grow, as the other chicks need more food too [​IMG] Their bowls are these http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21BDV5D3D3L._AA160_.jpg to cut down on messes.

Now what am I forgetting?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

To fire up that brooder and get it nice and toasty for the new girls. [​IMG]

Since they will be house chickens, I would go for the wider vs the taller enclosure. To keep their beaks and nails short, a concrete paver to put the treats atop would probably be good so they can scratch around.

And, chicken diapers!

Best of luck!

3. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I use the dog crate one for my young chickens. I think it would work great for housing while you are gone, but I am not so sure if it was meant for longer. Are you gone most of the time, or home?

4. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I am going to use an aquarium as a brooder for the first few weeks then move them to a guinea pig cage (which is what the others are in right now).

By concrete paver, do you mean a concrete block like those use to decorate the yard?

I was thinking the crate I bought would be better (thats the black one) but I didn't know if they would need a taller one or not since I will have dowel rods for them to roost on.

Oh yeah, I also bought grit , though they won't need it for awhile.

Should I get anything like cuttle bone, lava stone or something like this http://www.petco.com/product/11608/Polly-s-Cuttlebone-and-Calcium-Perches.aspx

5. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Quote:At the MOST they would be in the crate for 6 hrs and that is only when my bf goes back to 1st shift. The only reason I want to crate them is bc of the doggies. They will be in the bedroom with the doors shut but until I get enough diapers...tis the crate for them while gone!

I have a co-worker who will make me chicken diapers but I need to get her a pattern for them. I found one but it doesn't look like the others I have seen for sale.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  6. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Sounds like a fun setup. I bet you could put a low roost on the dog crate. I did for my teenage chickies.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, just talking regular paver block, the 12 inch by 12 inch type. The rougher the better. I don't think the cuttle bone perches will do them much good since they don't quite grab onto perches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by