House could have burnt to the ground!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cparian, Dec 30, 2008.

1. cparian

cparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I was working in my home office today & on a business call. I was annoyed because my 5 mth old great pyrenese was outside my window crying. Five minutes after she started all the fire alarms in my house started going off. I walked around my house to look around to find smoke billowing into my living room from my garage. Opened the door to flames up the wall to the ceiling. Grabbed the fire extinguisher & put out the flames. Garage so filled with smoke couldn't even see the cars parked in it. DBF had been home 15 minutes earlier & plugged in a charger for a cordless drill which apparently shorted out. If I wouldn't have been home I hate to think what could have happened. I have 6 indoor cats. We have worked on this house for a solid year to rehab it, as it was a bank repo. To think all that could have gone up in smoke is very sobering. To think I was annoyed with such a smart puppy to tell me something was wrong!

2. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Wow thank goodness you were home and that your puppy and fire alarms were there to warn you!!!

I'm very glad you had a good outcome!!

3. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thank goodness you caught it in time! And, what a smart dog!!

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I'm glad your dog alerted you!

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Give that pup a BONE!!! Or better yet...A ribeye!! Thank goodness you guys are alright.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    this story gave me the shivers!....what a smart dog!...better give him some extra hugs and treats!..[​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

What a GOOOOOD doggy!!!! You will never ignore him again will you?

8. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

Yet one more reason why i think dogs ROCK!

9. cparian

cparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    She is the youngest of 4 dogs & the only one smart enough to come tell me! She got lots of extra treat tonight! I know now to trust her when she tells me something is wrong. She is going to make such a good dog when she is older. She already loves her chickens & goat. She takes dirt baths with the chickens even throwing the dirt on herself & just sits & stares lovingly at the goat. I have always loved dobermans best for their intelligence but I think I have a new love now!

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I have heard nothing but good things about those dogs. And this incident just proves it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by