House duck egg laying guestion....

DenverDucky

Songster
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Colorado
I stopped at the local chicken swap today and talked to a couple people who brought some muscovys and cayugas and I asked if their hens were laying. They told me they already stopped for the year and that I need to stop Soleil from laying now. I wasn't sure how to do this since she is a house duck. Any suggestions as to when and how I should do this? Thanks!

Is she confined to a room that is very lighted? If so you might want to reduce how long you keep the lights on in that room. Though honestly I wouldn't force her into not laying. Many people in southern states have ducks that lay year round with no problems.

She sleeps in a crate in bedroom and I cover it at night so she will sleep and not quack for me all night. I don't want to worry about her either. The people at the swap looked at me like I was dumb for not already ending Soleil's laying season :/

She sleeps in a crate in bedroom and I cover it at night so she will sleep and not quack for me all night. I don't want to worry about her either. The people at the swap looked at me like I was dumb for not already ending Soleil's laying season :/
Don't worry about Soleils laying, she'll stop when her body needs a rest. She'll stop when she goes into molt, you can't say to her Soleil stop laying, she'll do it in her own time when her body is ready. The Muscovies and Cayugas have stopped laying because the daylight is getting shorter not because these people did anything to make them stop. or at least I hope not.

I agree, leave her alone. She's living in an artificial environment that gives her body different cues than their animals. Let her manage the best she can.

During laying season don't breeders give ducks high protein diets...then during winter lower the protein in the feed?
I was under the impression high protein diet encouraged egg laying...or is this rubbish?

Woka

Our Khakis lay year round. The Silver Appleyards take some time, not as much as other areas. The domestic ducks get the same feed year round because there is no need to change their diet. Our geese dont get layer during off season, and go back on it 30 days prior and through breeding season.

As kevin said no need to force a duck to lay or stop laying. Let her internal clock tell her what is best.

Back
Top Bottom