House ducks ☺️

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mummaaduck, Jan 8, 2017.

1. mummaaduck

mummaaduck Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2016
    Hi guys! [​IMG]
    I'm wondering if there are many people on here that are like me and have house ducks as pets? I'd love to hear any information you have on your house ducks or what you've learnt. I have a Pekin duck around 7 months old now named Puddles & a younger Muscovy named Teep around 3 'months old. Im also after any info if you've had a duck that's imprinted on a cat? Or experiences similar? Teep my Muscovy came to us when we also had a litter of kittens and she basically imprinted onto them and decided she was pretty much a kitten and since then hasn't been at all interested in leaving their side. I don't mind it and she seems quite happy and still a sweet little duck but I'm just wondering if that's a healthy relationship for her or if I should try to get her to bond more with my other duck puddles? They love each other but when it comes down to it if Teep gets seperated from the kittens she frets so much and will choose them over puddles everytime. My kittens won't be leaving or sold off or anything like that and she will always have them but I just worry sometimes that she isn't maybe getting a fully enriching duck life if she can't be away from the kittens even to forage in the back yard for a bit? Thanks in advance guys and hope to hear from some other quacky people [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Welcome to BYC @mummaaduck you might like to post here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/632070/show-off-your-house-ducks/5920#post_17928031

3. mummaaduck

Dec 12, 2016
    Thankyou @miss Lydia [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Your very welcome. I don't know if you have ever seen this video but when you were talking about your duckling being imprinted on your kittens I thought of it. This is just so precious

5. mummaaduck

Dec 12, 2016
    That is such a sweet video! I loved it! Thankyou for sharing it! It's honestly exactly the same situation for me and my funny flock- my cat had five kittens and we rescued Teep just after it and when we brought her home she just went straight to the cupboard where the kittens were sleeping and settled herself in against my cat and th babies and to my surprise she just accepted her straight in with open paws so to speak! And that's been that since then. Never experienced a love like theirs. As they've grown together they have learnt not to play roughly with Teep and Teep will play chases with them and just loves her "mum" and she loves her too if I pick up little Teep my cat comes over all distressed wanting me to put her down again and then licks her and dotes on her! Just truly a beautiful thing! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Miss Lydia

That is such a sweet pic. I think it's just precious that Teep has been accepted into the family not just by you but by her new cat family.

7. alyssa770

alyssa770 Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    Minnesota
    Mine will be here on April 4. :) they are house ducks

8. alyssa770

alyssa770 Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    Minnesota
    I have a question for everybody out there if my ducks start biting what should I do? How do you teach them manners? As far as being able to take them out and about. Eventually want them to become emotional support animal for me and my son two of the ducklings which one would be better for that the jumbo Pekin or the black Swedish ? how do I go towards this Avenue?

9. gilbert2

gilbert2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    First of all, congratulations on your soon-to-become duck momma status. In my experience though, there comes a point when our ideas about molding and shaping the behavior of animals can be too much. For example, would you ever try to train a wolf not to bite? Of course not, since it is in their nature to do so.Even the idea of taking your ducks "out and about," goes against my grain. At what point is it too much?
    I wish you all the luck in the world, and hope you have success with your flock. One can only hope that you will respect the animals' own nature.

One week old.
    [​IMG]

Two weeks old.
    [​IMG]

Three weeks old.
    [​IMG]

10. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    They grow up so fast [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by