house ducks- bothering dog.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rosewarrior, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Rosewarrior

Rosewarrior Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2011
    Please help me, I'm a semi- new duck owner and this is my first winter. I have a couple of Khaki Campbells, one lovley girl and one busy boy. They are in the house for the winter.
    Well, they like to attack my dog(mutt but part poodle). Anyways she's already bitten the male's neck because both the ducks provoke her. The dog did him no harm. I like to let the ducks out of their pen, to play with and hold. Is there anyway to train the ducks to not bother the dog and keep peace in the house?!
    The cats just stay out of their way.
    Thanks for you help!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. sandcat

sandcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    I would keep the dog away from the ducks when they are out, even if the ducks bothering the dog a dog can kill a duck with ease, that would make a great video to share (hint hint) The ducks chasing the dog..... my german shepherd doesnt show any interest in the ducks and has been chased by a mumma duck when the duckling were little and he is now terrified of them, he he its so funny. good luck though its really hard to have all animals living in peace

3. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Our male duck chases our female doberman...he's IN love with her...he escapes his pen everytime I let her outside. There is absolutely NO training the ducks to stay away from the dog. At least not to my knowledge. I would maybe contain your dog to a room when you let the ducks out to roam/play.

And I agree with videos...I have some on youtube of our duck/dog chases.

4. duck_shepherdess

duck_shepherdess Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree with previous posts. If a bite to the neck doesn't dissuade ducks from pestering your dog the best thing you can do, for all parties, is set up a dog area and a duck area. Pet/baby gates can be good for this, provided you can keep the ducks from squeezing through the bars.

5. Rosewarrior

Feb 1, 2011
    Thank you every one for your ideas/ suggestions. I will try them. [​IMG]

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Is there a reason they are inside during the winter instead of outside?

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Definitely set up seperate areas if you plan to keep them in the house during winters. If the ducks keep irritating the dog the dog will just do it again to make them stop... and that mgiht result in a dead duck.

I had a little Muscovy hen that would seek out my mothers dummy Pit Bull just to peck-pick on him & bite him in the nose, thankfully he was too "nice" to realize she was being a brat so he would lay down and take it. She tried to whoop his butt over a piece of cooked chicken once too.... this charming little lady now lives with BYC'er rainplace [​IMG] (miss buttons)

8. Rosewarrior

Feb 1, 2011
    Quote:Yes, I haven't built a suitable outdoor pen yet. They have a shed but it's just not warm enough, their water will freeze on them. And I can't let that happen! [​IMG]

9. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    we bought several 2 gallon buckets for this winter and just change them when they freeze...we also have a heat lamp on a timer and keep that over it at night. But our ducks just love it outside in this cold weather!

10. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Yes, I haven't built a suitable outdoor pen yet. They have a shed but it's just not warm enough, their water will freeze on them. And I can't let that happen! [​IMG]

I'm not sure where you're located, but ducks can handle the cold very well as long as they can get out of the wind if they want. Changing out buckets is a good idea to allow them access to water during the day and a lot less work than keeping ducks inside! It also neatly solves the dog problem. You could bring them in a few times a week to swim in the tub if you wanted so they can keep their feathers in good shape, or just put a tray of water outside for them to bathe in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by