House finch babies

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Robin'sBrood, May 28, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Try as I may, I could not keep the pair of house finches from building a nest in one of my two hanging Impatiens baskets, so I finally just gave up and here is what we have now. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is my sweet little girl (the brunette) with her best friend. They were sitting on the other side of the porch so I snapped a pic of them too. I [​IMG] my little girl so much!

[​IMG]

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

OH mY Goddess, they're naked necks!!! LOL

Those are lovely pictures! Thanks for sharing.[​IMG]

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

4. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    we had some house finches build a nest in one of our hanging ferns, it was nice having them but they killed the fern.

5. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Don't know which is sweeter, the birds or the girls. great pics

6. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    ugly little buggars aint they?
    And the birds don't look to good either! WA HA HA HA HAW HA!!!!!!![​IMG]:lau
    Just kidding! the kids are cute too.

I got baby Gold finches outside my back door in a palm tree. I'll post them when I remember my photobucket password!
    [​IMG]

7. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

I wish I had taken pics of the baby birds when they first hatched. Oh my goodness, they were so tiny, and so fuzzy. They had grown quite a bit by the time I got around to snapping these pics.

8. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    why would you try and stop them from building nest there?

9. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    1. Didn't want them to kill my Impatiens.

2. Had a nest in a hanging basket one year and we had a cold snap in JUNE and all the babies died. Heartbreaking.

3. My porch rocker is right there and I'd like to be able to use it this spring without hearing mama & daddy bird fussing at me.

[​IMG]

10. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Adorable photos, especially the last one [​IMG] YOur daughter and her friend are sooo cute.

The only downside to them nesting in the plant is how do you water it? I've got a couple of window boxes and have the same problem each spring. I usually dont' water them and they die...and then when the little ones are out of the nest completely, I put in new plants... [​IMG] What else can ya do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by