House hen w/an allergy?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lfoose, Apr 17, 2009.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    I have a Silkie that lives in the house with us. She doesn't cough or sneeze or act ill. Yet, she always seems to have this glob of yellow snot on one of her nostrils. Every now and then the eye on the same side will be runny.

Her poo and eating/drinking habits are normal. She roams the house during the day and sleeps in a dog cage w/pine bedding at night.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

What a privileged life though. [​IMG]

I don't know if silkies can be allergic to dust mites but I'd sure like to know!

3. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    She is spoiled and loves bathtime.

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Well, I did hear about a horse that was allergic to grass. Poor thing took like 11 allergy pills every day. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for a chook to have allergies.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Sounds like an allergy to me. DO you have other pets? Like a dog or cat and get hairs stuck in the air filters to the house? Could be that?!

Yeah, I wish I could keep one of my silkies inside with us... but that would be me just signing the divorce papers!

6. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Yes, we have four cats.

Aside from getting rid of the cats-can anyone suggest a home remedy for allergies?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by