House Hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lfoose, Oct 25, 2007.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Any suggestions on how to go about having a house hen? One problem I would think is the poop. How do you keep her from pooping all over the house?

2. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
  3. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    LOL, I think my husband will send me to the nut house when I tell him I am buying chicken diapers![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hey I have some for my dog when she comes in heat, so why not for chickens:lol:

5. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I've had a house chicken (that's another story there) and I bought 2 diapers from chickendiapers.com I think somebody made some diapers out of old socks, but I didn't save the link.

There are more "house chickens" around than you'd think. Check out the house chicken group:
    http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/housechickens/

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Lots of parrots wear diapers in the house, too. It's pretty much the same design, only they call them flight suits. Sounds sportier and you don't get so much flack from non-parrot owners. They need a more socially acceptable name for chicken diapers! [​IMG]

My parrot is potty trained. I've only heard of a couple of chickens that were house or litter trained. I keep thinking if those two could do it and parrots can do it, maybe other chickens could, too. The common wisdom is that chickens can't be potty trained, but I'm keeping an open mind on the subject.

7. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I couldn't get Priscilla housebroken and she lived in the house for nearly 2 years. She re-joined the flock after we got a puppy and she got tired of his antics. Priscilla will probably want to come inside when the weather turns cold for good and her left leg starts aching. She and my older dog used to share a dog bed for daytime naps.

My parents' neighbors have 2 housebroken parrots, the pride and joy of their lives. They didn't use the flight suits....I've seen those, aren't they nice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by